Answered

Sonos Skill on Sonos One

• 30 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We have used the Sonos skill on our Sonos One for the last year or so and generally it works well.

Lately I have had to disable and re-enable the skill every month or so to keep it working.

Now it does not work at all, even removing the Alexa voice command, disabling the skill, re-enabling the voice command and re-enabling the Sonos Skill will not get music playing reliably.

It works for one song and then just stops.  Skip does not work.

This is a skill we use *every* day and it is hugely annoying that it no longer works.

It does not appear that the skill has been updated in years, can someone PLEASE sort it out?

I have run through all the troubleshooting, including checking for system updates on our Sonos environment … we have made considerable investment in Sonos equipment over the years.

Thanks,
John.

icon

Best answer by CMM67 1 November 2022, 10:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ripface 

Thanks for your post!

It’s possible that it would help to reboot your network - please switch your router off for at least 30 seconds.

If that doesn’t help - and given what you’ve already tried - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is a combination of all of the common ways of resolving Alexa issues: Tips & Tricks - Resolving Most Alexa Issues | Sonos Community

To further expand on the post from @Corry P, you may want to look at my post: Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

I have recently spent over an hour and a half on the phone with Sonos with the following issues that could not be solved.

RADIO

When I say "Alexa, play radio 4", Alexa says, "Playing BBC radio 4", then I hear the "BBC Sounds" intro, then Alexa says "Sorry, I'm having trouble. Please try in a little while."

MUSIC

When I say "Alexa, play music by queen", Alex replies, "Here's some music by Queen", then says, "Sorry, that device is offline". This happens with all devices.

We did everything under the sun with regards to router, Sonos speakers, system settings, account linking, voice assistant, powering down etc. They were brilliant but we could not solve it.

I have a Sonos system with the following devices. Boost, Beam, Roam, 3 x One. All using the same Amazon Music account which is the family unlimited.

I eventually found a solution through a forum telling me to go to alexa.amazon.co.uk to disable and reenable the Sonos skill online instead of on the Alexa phone app. I did that on alexa.amazon.co.uk instead of the Alexa app on my phone and it worked. Then it stopped again and I found unfortunately that the tab for working with skills had gone from  alexa.amazon.co.uk and so I was unable to do the same again. They are winding down this online interface. Today I found that I could go into my amazon account another way and disable and reenable the Sonos skill. You go into the regular place you go to shop in your Amazon account, then there is a grey drop-down in the left side of search bar. You can select Alexa Skills in there. I disabled and reenabled the Sonos Skill (and incidentally my Sugarmate Skill) there. That worked. For now…. 

I have recently spent over an hour and a half on the phone with Sonos with the following issues that could not be solved.

RADIO

When I say "Alexa, play radio 4", Alexa says, "Playing BBC radio 4", then I hear the "BBC Sounds" intro, then Alexa says "Sorry, I'm having trouble. Please try in a little while."

MUSIC

When I say "Alexa, play music by queen", Alex replies, "Here's some music by Queen", then says, "Sorry, that device is offline". This happens with all devices.

We did everything under the sun with regards to router, Sonos speakers, system settings, account linking, voice assistant, powering down etc. They were brilliant but we could not solve it.

I have a Sonos system with the following devices. Boost, Beam, Roam, 3 x One. All using the same Amazon Music account which is the family unlimited.

I eventually found a solution through a forum telling me to go to alexa.amazon.co.uk to disable and reenable the Sonos skill online instead of on the Alexa phone app. I did that on alexa.amazon.co.uk instead of the Alexa app on my phone and it worked. Then it stopped again and I found unfortunately that the tab for working with skills had gone from  alexa.amazon.co.uk and so I was unable to do the same again. They are winding down this online interface. Today I found that I could go into my amazon account another way and disable and reenable the Sonos skill. You go into the regular place you go to shop in your Amazon account, then there is a grey drop-down in the left side of search bar. You can select Alexa Skills in there.

I disabled and reenabled the Sonos Skill (and incidentally my Sugarmate Skill) there. That worked. For now…. 

Did it not work for you by removing the Skill from ‘Your Skills’ in the Amazon Alexa App? That has always worked for me.

No it has never worked. I understand that there are many people for whom it has not worked with the app. For them, I recommend they do it on their PC. That has sorted out my issue twice now, where the advice was to do it on the app and it didn’t work.

No it has never worked. I understand that there are many people for whom it has not worked with the app. For them, I recommend they do it on their PC. That has sorted out my issue twice now, where the advice was to do it on the app and it didn’t work.

Ah okay, I’ve not had an issue with the Amazon App. I couldn’t find the link to my installed skills online through my Amazon account. Can you post the link please .. thanks🙏 

@CMM67 
Ah I think I found it by searching for the Sonos skill itself - that has the option to disable it. It’s nice to know that an online option exists as a backup, so thanks for that 👍 - I think you can also ask Alexa to disable a skill, so that’s another option aswell, I guess.