Question

Sonos One stereo pair suddenly became extremely buggy

• 30 December 2017
  • 14 replies

Hi Sonos Community!

From being perfectly functioning, yesterday my One stereo pair just started becoming extremely buggy:
1. Alexa stopped working just stopped working completely responding "sorry something went wrong" to any command related to music services
2. I get the "1001" error code when trying to start a song manually in the app. Sometimes it works but can barely play a full song (just become silent after a while).

Commands like "Alexa, discover my devices" works perfectly.

Extremely frustrating as it is New Years eve tomorrow and we will have a bunch of friends coming over. Would appreciate any help here!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Update: music sometimes work when pressing play via the app, but after a few min just stops, and then silent for a few min and then just jump a couple of additional minutes into the next song. Pretty annoying now when NYE is coming up. Right now, it feels like I made the wrong decision to go with Sonos...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Please power down for 10 secs the following devices, letting each one boot before moving to the next device:

- Your Router;
- Any wired network switches;
- Any wired Sonos devices;
- All other Sonos devices.
At first, it seemed like it worked - I could ask Alexa to start play music (after re-adding the Sonos skill in the alexa app) but then after 20 seconds of playing the speakers just went silent. Extremely irritating considering the price of these speakers. Thanks for trying though! Sonos customer service just went silence after I sent them the report ID. Our guests come in 2h and we will not have any music. Crap system and crap customer service.
Now the app just says "it looks like one of your speakers might be unplugged"
and I get "unable to connect to Sonos player". Wifi works perfectly.
As a temporary measure, try wiring one Sonos unit to the router, if you have ethernet cable lying around. First turn of all power to all including router/modem, wire the Sonos unit to the router, and then power up the router first. Then the wired Sonos unit. Then wireless units.

Perhaps this will fix things for a long enough time.

If this works, separate the stereo pair, and group the units as independent speakers.
On a separate note, I don't know if Sonos has done the right thing and ensured double staffing of all its help lines for the NYE weekend. As do many service providers. If not, perhaps someone from Sonos should point the Sonos CEO to this thread, for next year onwards.
Kumar - Thanks for the input! I've tried wiring to the router as well but no luck. Didn't try to turn off all power when doing it though. Agree on staffing for the NYE weekend for this type of products.

The funny thing is that just before our guests arrived, the system started to work and it worked the whole evening. But today, it stopped working again. Guess I had a bit of luck there, but still super annoyed considering how much these speakers costs.
I've literally spent hours trying to fix this and those are hours I don't have extra to waste. Sad to say that I wish I would have bought Bose instead.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Having similar problems. I paired both speakers and now I can initiate music, but it will stop playing pandora after one song. Attempting to call a song via Alexa and it plays it, but then loses complete visibility of it so I can stop it or have it play next(for an album). Attempting to control it in the app and it says it encountered an error. Talk about B_U_G_G_Y. When I have just a single unit I would notice it would often just drop my commands after the wake word. Additionally, if the command is misinterpreted, you can't interrupt with a wake word to stop whatever stupid thing Alexa is about to do. I'm excited at the prospects considering how fantastic they sound in stereo when they work, but these devices need some serious work in the voice integration usability department. I have struggled to have them work reliably. I will likely be returning both and attempt instead to use a pair Play 1 or 3's with the sonos skill until Sonos fixes all the bugs.
I've had three Sonos for about 3 years now. Always worked flawlessly, until recently. Since the latest updates, all three of my units have been doing exactly the same as the Op here. We too had a party last night and the Sonos was terrible. It kept stopping for no reason, skipping tracks mid point through a song. I've reported this on this forum but from what I've read there seems to be a lot of people with this issue.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for a fix but just wanted to share your grief....
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, all. Apologies for the late contribution to this thread. Could those are you that are still having issues please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number? All of these symptoms sound like they could be down to poor network communication. If you post your reference numbers here, I am sure we can get to the bottom of these problems you are having. Many thanks.
I got the Sonos One Pair this past saturday. They are buggy as well. I can get Pandora to play a song using Alexa, but it will only play one song instead of playing continuously. Very frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I got the Sonos One Pair this past saturday. They are buggy as well. I can get Pandora to play a song using Alexa, but it will only play one song instead of playing continuously. Very frustrating.

You are describing a an issue involving three systems/organisations: Amazon, Sonos and Pandora - to describe this issue as a result of Sonos bugs is a bit harsh!!

This is normally due to the Amazon Authorisation token getting confused. Can you please:

1/ Log out of ALL aps on your device that are connected to any Amazon account;
2/ Open the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and then 'Disable;
3/ Power down and then reboot all Sonos devices;
4/ Open the Alexa App>Skills>Sonos and then select 'Enable'

Please retest and let us know the result.