Answered

Sonos One Set up of Voice Assistants In India

• 27 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Greetings,

I have two Sonos-one Gen2 speakers bought from USA. I am able to set up alexa and google assistant on the speakers but the assistants are not able to play songs etc.

Google assistant talks back, answers questions, tells the weather etc but it can not play/contol music. I have added You tube music in app and selected it.

Youtube music and apple music play fine through the Sonos app, but somehow none of the assistant (alexa/google) is able to search and play songs!

Tried changing address to USA etc, nothing changes. Is it intentionallly restricted in countries where Sonos isnt launched officially? 

Sad 😞 Never knew this hassle, would have bought bose instead :-(

and due to my poor research I never noticed that these dont have bluetooth connectivity :-(

Looking forward to some support!

cheers

icon

Best answer by Xander P 28 April 2021, 09:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Anupamaviator, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Neither Alexa nor Google Assistant have been launched on Sonos in India, and I’m somewhat surprised that you managed to get them added at all.

It may be worth unlinking and re-linking the voice service, and double checking that the Music Service has been linked correctly, however the support we can provide for this will be very limited, and the expectation is that it won’t work I’m afraid.

Hi @Anupamaviator, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Neither Alexa nor Google Assistant have been launched on Sonos in India, and I’m somewhat surprised that you managed to get them added at all.

It may be worth unlinking and re-linking the voice service, and double checking that the Music Service has been linked correctly, however the support we can provide for this will be very limited, and the expectation is that it won’t work I’m afraid.

I am happy that everything runs fine throught the sonos app.

Just for info- The assistants(both google/alexa) are able to control vulume up/down, tell me weather, Google even can tell me jokes :-)

Anyways i know there is hardly any support for sonos in India, but what I was questioning was the fact that- Why only “music search, start, pause, stop” doesnt work. The assistants get back to me and say “ i am sorry the ***room (speaker set name) isnt available” 

Anyways, Thanks a lot for responding to the query. 

Cheers

I have two Sonos-one Gen2 speakers bought from USA. I am able to set up alexa and google assistant on the speakers but the assistants are not able to play songs etc.

Unfortunately, your units do not have a line in jack. I have four units that do, and for me therefore it is a simple matter of plugging in a Echo device into that jack for full voice functionality on my five zone Sonos system.

For music to play there has to be a handover to the streaming service, and since that is not enabled for India by Sonos, you are seeing this outcome.

There are some hacks for this, some reported here as well, but I have never had reason to try them and I do not know how well they work.

Why exactly do you need the bluetooth connectivity?

Almost 4 years not a minute of effort from Sonos to Indian customers for enabling Alexa indian voice. Been in software industry in 2 decades I can say this is just few hours effort. But some business decision by close minded people preventing it. 

Those who carrying on such attitude will perish, mark my word.

I was part of beta testing and it was quite successful not sure why they retracted from giving opportunity to the customers who paid and spent more effort to get this device to the country where it is not available.

Thankless mindset probably. 

not sure why they retracted from giving opportunity to the customers who paid and spent more effort to get this device to the country where it is not available.

I suspect it is more a prioritisation thing and unfortunately, a price to pay for those that gambled on buying something not supported in country. 

I did that with more than 12 Sonos units from 2011-2014, but because I have kit with line in jacks this missing bit does not bother me. I get better Alexa features with an Echo Show 5 connected to Sonos line in jacks.

not sure why they retracted from giving opportunity to the customers who paid and spent more effort to get this device to the country where it is not available.

I suspect it is more a prioritisation thing and unfortunately, a price to pay for those that gambled on buying something not supported in country. 

I did that with more than 12 Sonos units from 2011-2014, but because I have kit with line in jacks this missing bit does not bother me. I get better Alexa features with an Echo Show 5 connected to Sonos line in jacks.

I dont think it is prioritization, it is lack of passion and compassion on the work one is doing. I wouldn’t have been harsh if the effort required to implement it more than few days by a qualified developer.

Everything implemented and deployed by Amazon and Google, only effort required by these people is enabling one more flag to same API they use.  

They are loosing brand loyalty, I am waiting for moment to get rid of this device at half price but no takers. Even if they launch in india whatever respect for the brand is gone.

Hello, 

Try going to assistant app and change language to English (United  (Remove any other language if  there) and try asking to play/pause change music. 

Work fine for my one pair, Arc + Sub , and even with google home mini to control pair of play 5 .