Answered

Sonos One mic not working, light off, can’t turn it on!

• 28 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Noticed microphone light off on Sonos One.  Tried to turn it on by hand, no luck.  Unable to communicate verbally with Alexa.  Looks like everything else checks out besides mic.  Is there something I am missing?  Is there a test function to determine if and why mic is not working?  Light is definitely off too.

I am able to stream music to the speaker via bluetooth.  I am unable to voice command any services or skills.  Checked with Amazon support regarding any possible issues with my account (Alexa), they said everything looks good with my account, Alexa, and wi-fi connection.  Assuming now that it is either a software/app/setting or a hardware problem.  

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 28 February 2020, 10:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Is this a Sonos One or a Move?  You stated you can stream music via Bluetooth but the Move is the only speaker in the Sonos range that has that functionality.

Have you unplugged it from power for a few minutes and tried again?

If that does not help I would call the Sonos support desk.  They can talk you through some diagnostic tests,  It may help to run a diagnostic yourself and post the number on this thread too,

Is this a Sonos One or a Move?  A Sonos One.  Smaller than Sonos Move and cost $200.00  You stated you can stream music via Bluetooth but the Move is the only speaker in the Sonos range that has that functionality.  I can use my iPhone to play my iHeart station and control volume using phone.  The Sonos One is located in my Family Room and would also have access to wi-fi via router.  With that said, I was assuming it was blue tooth.  I just did a test, shut off my phone, and the Sonos One continued to play.  Therefore, you are correct, it is receiving its signal from wi-fi, thank you.  

Have you unplugged it from power for a few minutes and tried again?  Yes.

I had to move this Sonos device and I also did a factory default reboot on it, hence starting from scratch in the setup.  My problem is related to the inability to communicate with it verbally.  The thing that is obvious with the Sonos One is there is no light on for the mic and I can’t manually turn it on, nor do I see or am I aware of a method via the Sonos app.  

Thank you @bokersjv for chiming in.  

That is indeed a One, and playing music on iPhone iHeart app is via Airplay, not Bluetooth.  For Alexa, you need to check if the unit is still active in Alexa.  On the Sonos app, go to Settings > Services > Alexa and see if that particular unit is listed.  If not, choose to add.  Also check that the Sonos skill is added to the Alexa app.