Question

Sonos One issues when using Alexa to play music

• 23 November 2017
  • 17 replies

I have the Sonos One and when I ask Alexa to play music (plays from my Amazon Music account), I've experienced a number of different issues. Not sure if they are related to the same problem. I have no issues getting the Alexa response that it's playing my music on "kitchen" (where Sonos is located), but one of these problems will show up:
1) All I get is a little static and then nothing, no music at all, seems like it tried to start, but something happened, or
2) It starts playing just fine, but then stops after one song, or
3) It starts playing just fine, but transition to next song is odd, like it cuts off the song right before it ends and starts the next one immediately, and may stop after two or three songs,
4) It starts playing just fine, transitions are good, but stops after a few songs are played (playlist has 100+ songs)

After it stops, if I go into the Alexa app, it still shows that the music is playing until I click icon and then it shows the music is stopped. If I goto the Alexa app playlist and hit play, nothing happens, I need to tell Sonos to play again for it to start back up.

I don't seem to have this problem playing from the Sonos app, just when I use Alexa. I also don't have this problem playing music with any of my Echos (have the original and a couple of Dots), only with the Sonos One. I've found directions to disable Alexa skill and deregister device, and then add back, but it's no help. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Tried a couple more things, but problems still persists, I plugged in an ethernet cable, so no longer wireless, but am still getting the same problems. I've also tried a factory reset, but that didn't help either.
I am also facing the same problem. Alexa on Sonos One was playing music for 3 days, but then it started to say 'something went wrong' for every request to play music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi both.

These sort of problems normally fall into one of four problem areas, please retest after each step and if the issue remains proceed to the next step:

1/ Poor network connect between the Sonos players. May be worth trying a wired connection and remove the Wi-Fi credentials within the Sonos app - Lambo88, as you've tried a wired connection we can assume this isn't your problem;
2/ General poor internet connection. Can you please power down for 10 secs and then power on your devices in this order (Please wait for each device to boot before moving to the next device)

- Router;
- Any other network switch;
- Any wired Sonos Player;
- Your Sonos device.
3/ An Amazon account conflict. Make sure that you have enabled the Sonos skill to the same Amazon account that you linked to you Sonos account. Also make sure that all Echo devices are linked to the same Amazon account and that you don't have any other App's logged into another Amazon account;
4/ Your Voice Service needs resetting. Please follow the steps I've listed in the answer to this post:
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239
Badge
Same problem. Alexa will get a Pandora playlist, but will turn off the playlist after only one song.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem. Alexa will get a Pandora playlist, but will turn off the playlist after only one song.

Is this just Pandora or all music services?
I'm having the exact same problems. Often, after I ask, alexa will tell me that the music is playing on my Sonos, but it's not. I often have to repeat the command up to eight times, always getting the response that it's playing, before it plays. I also will ask for music by a particular artist, and get only one song before the music stops. In addition, often, the music will start at a barely audible volume, and then about 10 seconds into the song, it will kick in at full volume. I do not have these problems when playing direct through an alexa speaker, and I don't have these problems when playing sonos through the direct connection to the TV. This is some kind of integration problem with the Alexa beta software.
Hi both.

These sort of problems normally fall into one of four problem areas, please retest after each step and if the issue remains proceed to the next step:

1/ Poor network connect between the Sonos players. May be worth trying a wired connection and remove the Wi-Fi credentials within the Sonos app - Lambo88, as you've tried a wired connection we can assume this isn't your problem;
2/ General poor internet connection. Can you please power down for 10 secs and then power on your devices in this order (Please wait for each device to boot before moving to the next device)

- Router;
- Any other network switch;
- Any wired Sonos Player;
- Your Sonos device.
3/ An Amazon account conflict. Make sure that you have enabled the Sonos skill to the same Amazon account that you linked to you Sonos account. Also make sure that all Echo devices are linked to the same Amazon account and that you don't have any other App's logged into another Amazon account;
4/ Your Voice Service needs resetting. Please follow the steps I've listed in the answer to this post:
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/sonos-one-not-responding-to-alexa-comands-6793239

You are probably right. It appears to be a network issue. Alexa is able to complete all tasks for which it doesn't need to contact the cloud service (e.g. setting an alarm) but unable to execute request related to music or news. Will reset network connections to see if it works. The problem though is that this network issue also should not have occurred. I had an Echo Tap in the same location as this Sonos One which never had an issue. This means wi-fi signal on that spot was not the cause.
Badge
UKMedia
Pandora and Amazon Music both stop after one song (if initiated via Eco Dot).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
UKMedia
Pandora and Amazon Music both stop after one song (if initiated via Eco Dot).

Have you tried bootin your network devices as I described above? Also, are you using Wi-Fi or SonosNet to connect your players? (If unsure please open Hemp>about and if your WM setting is 0 then you are on SonosNet)
Badge
If Eco Dot initiates a Tune In (radio) station on Sonos 3, that seems to work fine. It streams for longer than just one song. Generally, it streams till I tell it to stop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So to confirm: it works via an Echo but not via your Sonos One?

You could try the actions I've listed in the Answer to this post:

Badge
WM equals 1
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
WM equals 1

Okay, this means that you are using Wi-Fi.

Are you able to connect any of your players via a wired Ethernet connection and then under settings>advanced>wireless setup remove your Wi-Fi credentials. This will then force your player to connect via SonosNet which may provide a better signal.
Badge
[quote=UKMedia]So to confirm: it works via an Echo but not via your Sonos One?]

All of my Sonos speakers are a few years old. I don’t have a new Sonos One that has voice recognition. For years, I have never had any problem with Pandora or Amazon Music playing on Sonos. It’s only if I initiate these streaming services via Eco Dot (on Sonos) that only one song will play. If I initiate these services to play on the Eco Dot speakers, there is no cut off after one song.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
[quote=wlerik]So to confirm: it works via an Echo but not via your Sonos One?]

All of my Sonos speakers are a few years old. I don’t have a new Sonos One that has voice recognition. For years, I have never had any problem with Pandora or Amazon Music playing on Sonos. It’s only if I initiate these streaming services via Eco Dot (on Sonos) that only one song will play. If I initiate these services to play on the Eco Dot speakers, there is no cut off after one song.

Sorry my mistake. 🙂 In that case please try the relevant actions in the answer in this post, ignoring anything referring to Sonos One.

Badge
WM equals 1

Okay, this means that you are using Wi-Fi.

Are you able to connect any of your players via a wired Ethernet connection and then under settings>advanced>wireless setup remove your Wi-Fi credentials. This will then force your player to connect via SonosNet which may provide a better signal.

Probably not, none of my Sonos speakers are in the same room as my router.
Badge
Just realized that my problem has nothing to do with Sonos. It is my Eco Dot. I am new to that decive. I only recently bought it to control my Sonos. But even when I am using it without Sonos, it has the same problem of stopping after only one Song of a Pandora Station or an Amazon Music station. It works fine with Tune In stations.