Sonos One Gen 2, microphone is not sensitive enough when playing music or is noisy

• 12 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello

I have read other conversations on the topic but they are all quite old and I would like to have an update on this issue. I bought my Sonos One, one week ago and I’m very disappointed with the quality of the microphone, I thought I was buying one of the best smart speakers on the market but it doesn’t look like this one is it. Using the voice control is so annoying that I would have done better buying a normal speaker instead. 

Can someone from Sonos help out with this issue or if someone from the community knows how to fix it, I would appreciate your help. 

Thanks

​​​​​​​Luigi

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @l-palermo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you using Google Assistant? If so, I too have noticed problems with it understanding me and I have found Alexa to be much better. This would indicate that it was Google that’s was not understanding me, rather than there being a problem with the microphone. Are you able to try Alexa?

Unfortunately, we’re unable to adjust this ourselves as it’s Google’s own software that the unit runs to provide Google Assistant functionality.

I can recommend that you try removing any sources of background noise from the vicinity of the speaker - this may help.

Hello Corry 

Thanks for your answer.

I haven’t used Google assistant but Alexa. I have reinstalled the app, re-initialised Alexa, seems to catch the voice better when there is absolute silence but falls short sometimes when music is playing on normal volumes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @l-palermo 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos product and what it reports, and can replace the unit if it’s determined there is an issue with the microphone.