Answered

Sonos One and Fire TV

• 3 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello all, I tried to find my answer in other posts but none seemed recent enough to answer my questions fully. I am redesigning my room right now which currently has 2 Sonos Ones. I am adding a TV and an Amazon Fire TV Stick. I’m wondering if I will be able to put the audio from my Fire TV Stick through my Sonos One. Also, and much less importantly, would I be able to control my Fire TV using voice commands through my Sonos? 

Any help is much appreciated! Happy New Year!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 January 2021, 02:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

In the Amazon Alexa App you can set the Fire TV built-in Alexa component to use a sonos speaker as default, but note this is for Alexa responses, not for the Firestick App audio output, which will still output to the TV speakers, or the TV’s connected Receiver, like the Sonos Beam, Arc etc.

NB: You can ask Alexa to play music audio to your Sonos devices (also using the Alexa component). With some configuration in the Alexa App, Alexa can even auto-group/ungroup speakers using playback voice instructions. (Search for Amazon Alexa Groups in this community for more information).

The table below is quick summary/example of some of the voice commands you can use with the FireTV or via linked Sonos Alexa device (Not an exhaustive list) just to help get you started with Fire TV

Go to Fire TV

Alexa, watch Fire TV

Play a movie or TV show

Alexa, watch The Grand Tour

Alexa, play Stranger Things on Netflix

Alexa, play comedy on Netflix

Search for movies and TV shows

Alexa, search for [movie / TV show] on [app]

Alexa, find [title / genre] on [app]

Alexa, show me [movies / TV shows] on [app]

Alexa, find [actor] movies on [app]

Control playback

Alexa, play

Alexa, pause

Alexa, stop

Alexa, resume

Alexa, rewind [timeframe]

Alexa, fast-forward [timeframe]

Alexa, go back [timeframe]

Alexa, jump forward [timeframe]

Alexa, next / next episode

Alexa, watch from the beginning

Perhaps see this main thread for Amazon Alexa Groups working with Sonos Speakers:

Badge

Hi Ken, thanks so much for taking the time to respond- I really appreciate it. Does this mean that when I’m watching Netflix it will go through the TV, not my Sonos? Would getting an Echo Dot fix this problem?

Hi Ken, thanks so much for taking the time to respond- I really appreciate it. Does this mean that when I’m watching Netflix it will go through the TV, not my Sonos? Would getting an Echo Dot fix this problem?

Yes the audio from Netflix would come through the TV speaker or it’s wired Receiver  - to get the audio onto Sonos devices, it’s best to add a Sonos HT product to the TV. You can choose from any of these:

• Sonos Beam
  • Sonos Arc
  • Sonos Amp (needs two passive front speakers)
  • Sonos PlayBase
  • Sonos PlayBar

The above Sonos HT products will bond with two compatible similar/identical speakers and/or a sub in the same room to provide Dolby 5.0/5.1 Surround Sound from the TV or Fire TV - ideally you need one of these to listen to Netflix on Sonos. The Firestick Apps send their audio to the TV over the connected HDMI port.