Sonos One Alexa upgrade.

• 15 August 2018
  • 1 reply

Having been a long time Bose user I switched to Sonos a couple of years ago and have absolutely loved everything from the simplicity to the quality of music. I was going to replace my Play Bar with a Beam to get the latest additions of Alexa, Air Play 2 etc however decided against so as to not sacrifice sound quality, I opted instead for a pair of Ones to replace my Play 1's, really my fault for not researching properly however I am really disappointed by lack of available features through Alexa, unavailability of Air Play when linked to Playbar and different speaker mounting points compared to Play 1's. As I say, mostly my fault for not researching fully however I've just spent $700 on an upgrade that has provided very little improvement, I really believe Sonos must provide better info when releasing new products.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

$700 for a pair of Sonos Ones? Are you including the cost of mounts for that? I would look into returning or the resale market if you can't utilize the Sonos Ones in another room of the house.

Regardless, I think you're highlighting an important marketing point. I agree with you in that perhaps Sonos could do a better job of addressing all the features customers may assume products will do. However, there are so many assumptions out there, that marketing would end up talking more about negatives than positives of products. That tends to give customers a negative 'vibe' about a product, even if it does all the things they want it to do.

As well, there a lot of customers who will ignore anything they read, or never bother to read, and believe their assumptions must be correct. For example, there are customers that are shocked that Sonos doesn't have Bluetooth, as they believe wireless = Bluetooth. Sonos used to even say on the front page of the website that it wasn't Bluetooth, but it didn't seem to have much effect. Another example, Sonos never claimed that all of their products were airplay 2 compatible, but customers hear 'Sonos works with airplay 2' from non-Sonos sources, and assume that means all the products, never looking any further. The customers that do look further but get confused by statements about getting airplay 2 through grouping. Sonos could just leave that statement out to avoid confusion, but that's functionality that a lot of customers are interested in. So what do you do?

I guess I'm saying that I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure that advertising what Sonos doesn't do, or leaving out features because it's a complex concept, while may be reduce the number of upset/disappointed customers, it may also turn other customers away. I don't know where the right balance is...if there is such a thing.