Answered

Sonos One - Alexa having problems since installing Orbi router

• 5 February 2019
  • 7 replies

I have had a Sonos One for over half a year, Alexa voice service used to work on it like a charm until I upgraded my old router to Orbi. Ever since Alexa fails with the message:" Sorry I have trouble understanding right now please try a little later", I have tried many different fixes but its only a matter of minutes to hours (depending on the fix) for Alexa to fall back into the same error:
- Replug the Sonos One results in Alexa working for 10-15 minutes before the error
- Re-registering Sonos results in Alexa working for 3-4 hours before the error
- I have tried many more: Resetting my modem/Orbi/Sonons, Setting up Orbi's Satellite after I setup Sonons, changing the 2.4Hz channel of Orbi to 6 instead of the auto(3).

I have sent my diagnostics to Sonos and they found that my Sonos speakers are not communicating with Amazon.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Can you think of something else I can do?

My system:
- Pace 5268AC FXN (AT&T Uverse modem in bridge mode)
- Orbi RBR50 (base station)
- Orbi RBS50 (satellite station wired with ethernet backhaul)
- Sonos One
- Sonos Play:1
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 5 February 2019, 01:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Ikhosr

Sounds like Sonos is jumping between your Orbi and the AT&T hardware. Here's a link on setting up Orbi with AT&T Uverse modem in bridge mode: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/How-to-set-up-ORBI-with-U-VERSE/td-p/5436304

Also, you may want to consider "Wired" (aka Boost) mode for Sonos. Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!
NO!!! The Pace/Uverse box is already in modem/bridge mode. Putting the Orbi into bridge mode as well would expose everything to the public internet.

I suspect the problem is indeed to do with Sonos being in WiFi mode on the Orbi. Wire one Sonos component to the Orbi base station and thus put the system into SonosNet mode.
Badge
I am finding similar issues - (3) Sonos One - (2) in 1 room paired and one upstairs. The ONE upstairs connects (wireless) to the Orbi Satellite - seems to work without issue. The (2) connecting to the Orbi router (wireless) are having problems authenticating to Alexa, in fact I cant add voice service to either ONE unless I connect via ethernet cable. I have the ATT wireless turned off and the ORBI router connect to a DMZPLUS port (router behind router) with the ATT firewall disabled on that port. No solution yet unless I connect the (2) ONES hardwire.
The stereo pair are possibly connecting to different satellites, on different channels. The Sonos system won't be happy. You'd be advised to follow the advice in the post before yours. Wire one Sonos unit and put the system into SonosNet mode, using its own wireless mesh.
Badge
The paired ONEs are connect to the same ORBI unit - at least the ORBI admin screen is showing them both connect to the main router. However I will try the SonosNet method as I can at least get the ONEs in the office hardwired. Can I have the paired ONEs using SonosNet and the other wireless or will they all flip to SonosNet - I am worried about the distance as the upstairs unit is at the other end of the house - thanks
They should all flip over to SonosNet, providing they can intercommunicate. You can check in Settings/About My Sonos System: 'WM:0' means SonosNet or wired.

If the distant One is simply too far away it will stay on WiFi to the nearest Orbi unit. This is 'mixed mode'. So long as the arrangement is stable this may work okay, though if anything breaks it would be when grouping the lone One with the pair.
Badge
@ratty - that seemed to do the trick - all of the units are on the SonosNet and are working as expected. Weird thing is that this was all working fine on wireless until a power outage a week ago. Thanks for the help