Sonos One: Alexa can no longer control music from Apple Music

• 26 November 2018
  • 4 replies

I recently got may first Sonos One and I had it configured and working in almost no time.

Everything went up smoothly. Apple Music added, Amazon Alexa added, and both working together as it's been advertised.

Now, as part of some modifications I've been doing in my home I had to change the wifi configuration and change the Sonos to a new network; it turns out after configuring the device with the new network everything works but the integration between Apple Music and Alexa. It's so frustrating not being able to command Alexa on skipping a song as the assistant will only listen, flash a bit, then do absolutely NOTHING.

Has anyone else experiences something similar? How did you resolve it?

I'm seriously considering the possibility of returning my ONE as I really don't feel like going thru‘ all this hassle.

Any help will be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There is no integration between Apple Music and Alexa. Alexa only supports Amazon Music, Spotify, Deezer, Pandora, SiriusXM, and iHeartRadio. It cannot initialize playback from anything else, though it can control them once added to the queue. Are you sure you weren't using a free trial for another service?
Sorry, my bad. My choise of words and lack of information are not that helpful.

Now, I understand Alexa cannot initialize playback from Apple Music, and I was actually referring to the following flow:

- Ask Siri to start playing music in my bedroom (where the Sonos One is located).
- Siri will reply and start playing music in my bedroom.
- Ask Alexa (on the Sonos) to pause, skip, etc. the music.
- Alexa will listen and “flash” a bit but won’t perform the commands.

The last step was working fine before. Alexa would listen and do what it was commanded.
Badge +1
Try asking alexa to call up radio from tunein

Then ask alexa to stop (radio) - should work

Then play some music and see if Alexa controls work now?

Might work, for a while, resets intermittently it seems (see my prev post)
I would disable and re-enable the Sonos Alexa skill.