Answered

Sonos ONE + Alex speaker group

• 8 October 2018
  • 15 replies

does anyone know how to group a couple of ONEs with other dot / speak combo? So frustrating having multiple groups when I just want one group of all speakers
icon

Best answer by Master T 8 October 2018, 20:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can’t group Sonos and Alexa device such as dot. Sonos can only group in sync with other Sonos speakers.
Sonos speakers and Amazon echos cannot play audio together, if that's what you're asking for.
ok thats frustrating - but thanks for confirming! Would love to see a fix for this
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t foresee it as ever happening. Two different architectures for sync between speakers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
If you've ever used Alexa's 'announcement' feature with a combination of Sonos & Amazon products, the problem with audio synchronization between the devices is glaringly obvious.

On the other hand, I use an app called Tunity that can scan a television screen, determine which audio stream is needed, and play that stream through my phone or bluetooth headset. (It can be useful at the gym, bars, etc). The audio is rarely in sync initially, but a quick adjustment in the app allows you to make the necessary + or - correction. My point is that while the sync issue is real, it's not an insurmountable obstacle. The bigger issue, at least in my view, is that it seems unlikely that this is anywhere near the top Sonos' priority list right now.
I don’t foresee it as ever happening. Two different architectures for sync between speakers. but one voice activation system for two different playback systems?
I don’t foresee it as ever happening. Two different architectures for sync between speakers. but one voice activation system for two different playback systems?

Yes. There are lots of business and technical reasons why it won't happen. Just as a taste, Sonos has a patented multiroom audio technology. It really is superior to other techs to get it done. Sonos isn't willing to give this tech to Amazon. They don't even license it out. Amazon is somewhat willing to give up there own multiroom protocol but only if you play the audio that Amazon approves initiated from Amazon approved voice controlled or apps. Amazon doesn't want google or apple audio playing on their speakers. And clearly Sonos doesn't want to to do that. Even if they did manage to work out all the details and such, it's still a rather complicated set of rules. You can group with scenarios A, B, and C, but not D, E, and F. Not very user friendly.
If you've ever used Alexa's 'announcement' feature with a combination of Sonos & Amazon products, the problem with audio synchronization between the devices is glaringly obvious.

On the other hand, I use an app called Tunity that can scan a television screen, determine which audio stream is needed, and play that stream through my phone or bluetooth headset. (It can be useful at the gym, bars, etc). The audio is rarely in sync initially, but a quick adjustment in the app allows you to make the necessary + or - correction. My point is that while the sync issue is real, it's not an insurmountable obstacle. The bigger issue, at least in my view, is that it seems unlikely that this is anywhere near the top Sonos' priority list right now.

Sounds as if the stream it's recognizing has to be a publicly available stream. So I can see how that would work with a radio station, but a custom playlist wouldn't work with that methodology, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Yes. There are lots of business and technical reasons why it won't happen. Just as a taste, Sonos has a patented multiroom audio technology. It really is superior to other techs to get it done. Sonos isn't willing to give this tech to Amazon. They don't even license it out. Amazon is somewhat willing to give up there own multiroom protocol but only if you play the audio that Amazon approves initiated from Amazon approved voice controlled or apps. Amazon doesn't want google or apple audio playing on their speakers. And clearly Sonos doesn't want to to do that. Even if they did manage to work out all the details and such, it's still a rather complicated set of rules. You can group with scenarios A, B, and C, but not D, E, and F. Not very user friendly.

...seems like the Alexa integration into the ONE speakers is a red herring. Makes us consumers assume that these speakers can easily be grouped with other alexa linked speakers. Or maybe its the first step in Amazon acquiring Sonos...either way I wish they'd get on with it!

...seems like the Alexa integration into the ONE speakers is a red herring. Makes us consumers assume that these speakers can easily be grouped with other alexa linked speakers. Or maybe its the first step in Amazon acquiring Sonos...either way I wish they'd get on with it!

Not really. I could be off on the dates, but I think the Sonos One came out before Alexa had multiroom audio. Maybe not. Even then, the alexa multiroom functionality was for echos only, not even including their fire tvs and fire tables. I believe it's expanded since then.

Honestly, I can see why people make this assumption, but neither Sonos or Amazon ever state that it's a feature.
I never assumed Sonos speakers would sync with Echos. On top of that, Echo sound quality is horrible. I wouldn't listen to music on an Echo anyway.
I never assumed Sonos speakers would sync with Echos. On top of that, Echo sound quality is horrible. I wouldn't listen to music on an Echo anyway.

yes but if you've linked to a better Bluetooth speaker, then this feature would be really useful and stop a single voice command being heard by multiple systems

Not really. I could be off on the dates, but I think the Sonos One came out before Alexa had multiroom audio. Maybe not. Even then, the alexa multiroom functionality was for echos only, not even including their fire tvs and fire tables. I believe it's expanded since then.

Honestly, I can see why people make this assumption, but neither Sonos or Amazon ever state that it's a feature.

why would they need to state it? It'd common sense that if you say a voice command one system should be able to respond not multiple

yes but if you've linked to a better Bluetooth speaker, then this feature would be really useful and stop a single voice command being heard by multiple systems

You actually can't link an echo to a Bluetooth speaker during multiroom audio play, it's not supported. The reason being that Amazon can't guarantee that it will play in sync since it can't control delays in Bluetooth audio.

why would they need to state it? It'd common sense that if you say a voice command one system should be able to respond not multiple

Well first, there's a big difference between responding to voice commands and playing multiroom audio. Second, while it's understandable to assume that they would work together, it makes no sense to me. Of course, I've got a different background of experiences then you, so who am I to say what makes sense to you.

Either way, I always recommend that people ask a lot of questions and never assume anything when buying modern tech equipment these days. I often find that my initial assumptions were incorrect, and sometimes find a competing product that does meet my needs that I like better for a better price.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Sounds as if the stream it's recognizing has to be a publicly available stream. So I can see how that would work with a radio station, but a custom playlist wouldn't work with that methodology, if I'm understanding it correctly.

No, I would think you could adjust the sync ( delay + or - ) on one group or the other, Sonos or Echo, for any stream so that they matched. Realistically, though, if you had to do that every time you started a new stream, or if the sync changed mid-stream frequently due to network, hardware or other issues, who would want the bother? It's those types of technical complications (and I'm sure they are many more I haven't even considered) that make me this this just isn't going to happen soon, if ever.