Sonos no longer playing music requested through alexa

Since yesterday Sonos has stopped playing music requested through my Alexa devices

I have disabled and re enabled the skill

Re discovered devices on Alexa

Checked within the app - plays music normally from all services

When requested Alexa says playing music through device and if ask to play music on another it says it is already streaming on a device (indicating it believes it is connected)

I have 3 Alexa dots and multiple Sonos speakers all set up and working fine till yesterday since last yr.

Diagnostic number 1694230956

From few minutes after a request

Help as this is very frustrating

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

What music streaming service are using? If Spotify, then you can only have one stream of music via voice control; to play across multiple rooms you must group the rooms within the Sonos App, either before or after initiating the music.

Can you open the Alexa App>Settings>History and confirm that Alexa has heard you correctly?

Also, if you open the Alexa App>Smart Home can you see all of your Sonos devices listed?

If you group all of your Sonos players together in a single group and then ask Alexa to output to one Sonos room. Does this work and is audio output to all rooms?

If the problem persists, please follow the steps I've listed in the Answer to this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/alexa-says-she-is-playing-on-kitchen-but-no-sound-comes-out-6800126
I am.using Amazon music, as I have for the last 9 months

I have asked Alexa to stop all music

I have asked Alexa to find new devices (again) and all are still listed as they were before

I have asked Alexa to play on every device individually

I have asked to play radio as opposed to streaming service

And none are working

As I say this started yesterday and nothing in my set up has changed
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am.using Amazon music, as I have for the last 9 months

I have asked Alexa to stop all music

I have asked Alexa to find new devices (again) and all are still listed as they were before

I have asked Alexa to play on every device individually

I have asked to play radio as opposed to streaming service

And none are working

As I say this started yesterday and nothing in my set up has changed

…and have you checked Alexa is hearing you in the Alexa App>Settings>History?

Did you walk through section 1 and 2 of the Answer I posted the link to?
Alexa is hearing me yes - in the Alexa app it clearly states the same as she speaks out I.e. playing pop in the living room

Also no devices names are duplicated

And I have disabled and re enabled the app

As noted nothing in my setup has changed in the last 24hrs and it has been working perfectly since launch back last October.

I really do not want to have to go around the house turning each Sonos off etc as that seems to go against the ethos of the company boasting it has easy installation and set up when nothing new has been added in either hardware or services

Is this really the best advice you can give on this site? Can you not check my system for issues? What was the point of the diagnostic?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I don't work for Sonos, just trying to help. ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Sonos ric. Thanks for your post. UKMedia was just trying to get you started with some troubleshooting. He does not have the ability to review diagnostics like we do. I am glad he requested one from you. Setup is intended to be easy, correct. However, as with anything, things can go wrong over time. Frankly, having reviewed your diagnostic, I am surprised to learn nothing has changed in your setup. Your Ethernet-wired component (Lounge) is being subjected to massive WiFi interference. Either something has changed, or you've been quite lucky. This is the only thing that is untoward in your diagnostic, so it is very likely the cause. What is within a 3 meter radius that is electronic or wireless enabled? Thanks in advance.
Don't be arrogant! A few of my Sonos Customers and myself are experiencing the same issue as are 100s of others. Shall I suggest we return this as not fit for purpose
or adopt the approach I have? How may I assist you? Shocking response!!!! So what is the above resolution? Disable all WiFi? Are you working now as I really fancy a phone rant. Been selling and installing sonos for 12 years!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

I can understand emotional responses but please can we keep things polite. I've worked in IT on large scale IT programmes for 30+ yrs and realise that the more I learn, the more there is to learn!

We have two options available:

1. Continue the emotion and anyone that could help from the community will ignore this post. Or
2. We calmly work through a series of steps to ascertain a solution to your issue.

On the basis that you are a Sonos installer and you want a resolution to your issue, can you please confirm what the results were against steps 1,2 & 3 of the link I included in my initial post.

I can't comment on the diagnostic as only Sonos employees have the ability to investigate them but I see no reason for Edward to lie to you. Can you confirm if you have a Standard or Boost installation?
Userlevel 2
I too am disappointed in the amount of hassle and time it takes to get the Sonos one to reliably use Alexa to play my iTunes library. Did fine for a time after initial set up, then needed some troubleshooting, but now the whole system is a brick unless I want to use other music sources or invest in another fixit session. Definitely is not a system for a busy person.
I found this in a couple of other posts on this issue. Worked for me...

UKMedia: "Please log out of all Amazon apps on your device, including Alexa. Then log back into the Alexa App and Disable the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills and then Enable again. Please retest and let us know how you get on."