Answered

Sonos Itunes and Alexa multi room capability

• 3 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge
I've spent a few weeks trying to understand the capabilities of Sonos speakers - think I'm getting there. For a few years I've been using iMac/iTunes to Airplay music to 3 speakers around the house, but the arrival of an Echo dot and having signed up to Prime music (limited package) means I want to make more of this. Please could someone help to clarify my thoughts, concerns and fears...

1) Looking to buy 3 Sonos Ones & Playbase. (Likely the Echo Dot will be redundant, but feel it's worth buying the more recent 'Ones' than Play 1s.)
2) It sounds like I can still stream my iTunes library/ Playlists via the Sonos App. Presumably I could also control this from my iPhone/iPad as long as the Mac remains switched on?
3) Sounds like Airplay 2 is also on the way (including Playbase?). Not sure how this would necessarily improve things, although I've read about failings in the Sonos App when it comes to functionality but don't know what. Presumably I can still play songs, add a queue of songs or select a playlist?
4) On to Amazon Music and voice activation. Are there any failings in the mics picking up commands which I've read about?
5) In order to ask Alexa to play a song in the kitchen would I first need to ungroup speakers in the App? Conversely, to play songs in every room do I again first need to regroup the speakers in the app? This does sound like a barrier to the ease of use.
6) If the Playbase has been playing TV content, will it pick up that I want Alexa to play music to it and automatically switch input? I'm assuming that although Alexa is not built into the Playbase I can still ask Alexa (via One) to play music to it?
7) if I was to upgrade to a Play 3 in one of the rooms, (teaming with my Echo Dot) does this cause any delay/lag/sync issues between rooms? Could I still ask the dot to play to other rooms?

I appreciate any help or reassurance you can provide.

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 3 April 2018, 14:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Please see my thoughts below, against each question.

I've spent a few weeks trying to understand the capabilities of Sonos speakers - think I'm getting there. For a few years I've been using iMac/iTunes to Airplay music to 3 speakers around the house, but the arrival of an Echo dot and having signed up to Prime music (limited package) means I want to make more of this. Please could someone help to clarify my thoughts, concerns and fears...

1) Looking to buy 3 Sonos Ones & Playbase. (Likely the Echo Dot will be redundant, but feel it's worth buying the more recent 'Ones' than Play 1s.) - Yes, remember that you can still control your Sonos players from the Echo Dot that can be elsewhere in the house. I'd recommend the Sonos One over the Play:1.
2) It sounds like I can still stream my iTunes library/ Playlists via the Sonos App. Presumably I could also control this from my iPhone/iPad as long as the Mac remains switched on? - Yes
3) Sounds like Airplay 2 is also on the way (including Playbase?). Not sure how this would necessarily improve things, although I've read about failings in the Sonos App when it comes to functionality but don't know what. Presumably I can still play songs, add a queue of songs or select a playlist? - Sonos have said they are looking into Airplay but no confirmation of timescales yet.
4) On to Amazon Music and voice activation. Are there any failings in the mics picking up commands which I've read about? - The mic array on the Sonos One is still learning and evolving but not on par with the Echo Dot yet.
5) In order to ask Alexa to play a song in the kitchen would I first need to ungroup speakers in the App? Conversely, to play songs in every room do I again first need to regroup the speakers in the app? This does sound like a barrier to the ease of use. - There is no voice command at present to group Sonos speakers, so it'll play on any speaker that is grouped in the Alexa app with the Sonos Player in the voice command. The Playbase will however, if configured, ungroup whenever the TV output is detected.
6) If the Playbase has been playing TV content, will it pick up that I want Alexa to play music to it and automatically switch input? I'm assuming that although Alexa is not built into the Playbase I can still ask Alexa (via One) to play music to it? - The Playbase will behave like any other non Alexa Sonos device, you just need to include the room name in the command. e.g. 'Alexa, Play soft jazz on Kitchen Sonos' The Playbase will automatically switch to music in the previous command but will not regroup the players that the Playbase was grouped with before TV output was detected.
7) if I was to upgrade to a Play 3 in one of the rooms, (teaming with my Echo Dot) does this cause any delay/lag/sync issues between rooms? Could I still ask the dot to play to other rooms? - No lag between rooms, this is where Sonos excels. 🙂 Teaming with the Echo Dot also has the advantage that the mic can be placed slightly further from the Play:3 which improves the ability for the mic to hear when the volume is higher.

I appreciate any help or reassurance you can provide.

Thank you.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Badge
Hi UKMedia, thanks very much for your comments. Very useful, and hadn't really considered keeping the Dot as a separate voice controller. Sounds like it can be used without teaming it to a specific speaker.

Other posts I've read seem to suggest that the Sonos will only improve through updates, but diffficult to see how the mics will improve unless it's just a tweak to their sensitivity in the software. Again retaining the Dot somewhere within the set up will probably help to negate issues.

Presumably changing the grouping of the speakers is quite simple or quick within the App - is this done within the Alexa App rather than the Sonos App? If I understand correctly I will need to physically regroup the Playbase to all other speakers (via the Alexa app) after using with the TV. Similarly if I have been previously playing music in individual rooms, I'll need to go on the app to group speakers to play everywhere. Probably not a big deal, especially if I can do it from the IPhone.

Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi UKMedia, thanks very much for your comments. Very useful, and hadn't really considered keeping the Dot as a separate voice controller. Sounds like it can be used without teaming it to a specific speaker. - Correct, there is no teaming required you just include the room name in the command, the same with Alexa Multi Room.

Other posts I've read seem to suggest that the Sonos will only improve through updates, but diffficult to see how the mics will improve unless it's just a tweak to their sensitivity in the software. - Correct again, there have been 2 tweaks which have greatly improved this. Again retaining the Dot somewhere within the set up will probably help to negate issues.

Presumably changing the grouping of the speakers is quite simple or quick within the App - is this done within the Alexa App rather than the Sonos App? If I understand correctly I will need to physically regroup the Playbase to all other speakers (via the Alexa app) after using with the TV. Similarly if I have been previously playing music in individual rooms, I'll need to go on the app to group speakers to play everywhere. Probably not a big deal, especially if I can do it from the IPhone. - At present, Sonos do not support Alexa Groups - although I suspect this will be released soon. All grouping of Sonos speakers is carried out in the Sonos App and is very quick and easy to do. Your other statements regarding grouping are correct but within the Sonos App. I'm hoping that grouping via voice control will be introduced this year but that's just my hope and not based upon anything from Sonos.

Thanks again.
Badge
Thanks UKMedia, It's reassuring that things have improved via updates. The grouping of speakers sounds straightforward, and I probably can't expect to understand it any better until I use it.
Thanks again for your help.