Sonos Controller 8.1.1 Upgrade and Sonos One Speaker

• 5 November 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
This may be nothing at all and just a coincidence related to another undetermined issue. That said after upgrading the Sonos App to 8.1.1 my Sonos One (Stereo Pair) would only play music located on my iOS devices. Command to Alexa via Sonos One to play music (which defaults to my Amazon Prime Music) would play on Sonos speakers in other rooms not on the Sonos One. The same thing held true for Sirius XM. Ironically the Hue Skill was not affected.

After basic trouble shooting:
-Unplug Sonos One's
-Disable and re-enable voice skills in Sonos App and Alexa App
-Remove and re-discover Sonos One's in Sonos App and Alexa App
-Disable and re-enable Music service skills (i.e. Amazon Music and Sirius XM)
-None of the above resolved the issue.

The cure was to delete the Alexa App and download it again to my iOS device.

Just FYI in case someone has a similar experience. Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Thanks Ken, I had intended to add that to my post but pressed send to early.?
I appreciate you have your sonos system fully sorted UKMedia... that goes without saying.

Sorry, my post was above was for the information of timfoster... I should have made that a little clearer too. I have altered the post.?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks Ken, I had intended to add that to my post but pressed send to early.?
timfoster,

All very easy to resolve ... just by allocating the Sonos IP addresses to the Routers DHCP Reservation Table. If someone doesn’t know how to do that, then I would try to find a friend who does... it takes a few minutes to do and stops the duplicate IP problem.

This link to a previous thread, explains some basic networking things to do to get your Sonos system stable....

Simple Fixes for Network Connection Issues
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The point still stands. The fact that this particular post was posted a while back doesn't change the fact that even now, a significant number of posts revolve around a common theme of setup nightmares, lost connectivity or Alexa integration. The fact that these issues were present 10 months ago and are still being raised now kind of proves the point.

I would love sonos to be a good product, but there's so many things preventing it from being that and by simply being out more products with the same or worse problems all they are doing is show utter contempt for their customers.

9/10 the cause for this issue is network or router related issues that Sonos is highlighting, not sure how Sonos can 'fix' routers allocating duplicate IP addresses on home networks...

I'm not sure if you know this already and if so sorry but your router allocates an IP address to each device that connects to it with the correct security credentials. Normally the IP address starts as 192.168.0.1 for the router and then 192.168.0.2 for the first device to connect and so on. In the scenario of 10 devices being connected, then the Router will know to allocate 192.168.0.11 to the next device however, if the router is booted at some point it will forget that it's previously allocated any addresses and will allocate 192.168.0.2 to the next device. You then have two devices on the same IP address.

As the majority of Sonos updates boot all Sonos devices on your network for the new firmware to be used, your router will treat each Sonos device as new connection as it powers on after the boot. Therefore your Sonos devices will display issues as they are one of the devices with the duplicate addresses but this issue is caused by the router and is not something that Sonos can 'fix'
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The point still stands. The fact that this particular post was posted a while back doesn't change the fact that even now, a significant number of posts revolve around a common theme of setup nightmares, lost connectivity or Alexa integration. The fact that these issues were present 10 months ago and are still being raised now kind of proves the point.

I would love sonos to be a good product, but there's so many things preventing it from being that and by simply being out more products with the same or worse problems all they are doing is show utter contempt for their customers.
Judging by the number of complaints on here about Sonos/Alexa integration it's staggering that Sonos have not even bothered to address the problem. The standard response of "switch everything off and then on again" is ridiculous. This isn't a resolution to a problem, this is "we have no idea, so lets try a reboot and hope for the best". How about you fix the damn problem rather than keep palming us off with this reboot nonsense?

You do realize this is a 10 month old thread about a former release, and has a total of 3 posts besides yours? Whatever problem existed back then is well in the past, and was not very prevalent considering the number of posts.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Judging by the number of complaints on here about Sonos/Alexa integration it's staggering that Sonos have not even bothered to address the problem. The standard response of "switch everything off and then on again" is ridiculous. This isn't a resolution to a problem, this is "we have no idea, so lets try a reboot and hope for the best". How about you fix the damn problem rather than keep palming us off with this reboot nonsense?
Oh great that's just fine. What about my Sonos 5 speakers in my living room and the #3 in my bedroom? Can I connect them, please?
Although you did not need it, for anyone else reading, the complete trouble shooting procedure requires the modem and the router to also be unplugged or powered down and rebooted one after the other before rebooting the wired Sonos units, which are all to be rebooted before rebooting wireless units.