Sonos Beam won't turn off tv

• 30 December 2018
  • 10 replies

I have an LG Oled tv. IT has HDMI Arc, but it doesn't turn off the TV. It turns it on, but won't turn it on.

Also I use to be able to put the tv to sleep with my Apple TV remote. When use to put my Apple TV to sleep the TV would also so off, but now it just goes to the HDMI screen.

Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

It maybe the case that LG have disabled that 'switch off' CEC command on that model of TV so that when you switch off attached peripherals like a DVD Player etc using its own remote, that the TV stays 'switched on' so that the user can then go onto watch TV channels.

Sometimes only the TV remote itself can turn off the TV. You will need to check with the LG support desk if that is the case.
Userlevel 7
Hi michael31986

Beam turning the TV on but not off seems to be a prevalent concern. I hesitate to say issue because I'm not convinced the Beam is the culprit. I have had my Beam installed on a 6 year old Sony with HDMI_ARC and it worked flawlessly (i.e. TV on/off). I have since installed the same Beam on a 5 year old Samsung Plasma and it turns TV on but not off. :?

I've stated this in previous posts that I believe it's an issue not necessarily with the Beam (although there could be) but with the way the TV interprets it's version of the ARC. As you can see in the link each manufacturer has a different name for ARC integration with their own little tweaks: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2659?language=en_US

As for as the Apple Remote I have an LG C8 and it turns the TV on and turns it off when I select Sleep Now. In the Apple menu under Remotes and Devices make sure that Control TV's and Receivers is set to "On".

Cheers!
Hi michael31986

Beam turning the TV on but not off seems to be a prevalent concern. I hesitate to say issue because I'm not convinced the Beam is the culprit. I have had my Beam installed on a 6 year old Sony with HDMI_ARC and it worked flawlessly (i.e. TV on/off). I have since installed the same Beam on a 5 year old Samsung Plasma and it turns TV on but not off. :?

I've stated this in previous posts that I believe it's an issue not necessarily with the Beam (although there could be) but with the way the TV interprets it's version of the ARC. As you can see in the link each manufacturer has a different name for ARC integration with their own little tweaks: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2659?language=en_US

As for as the Apple Remote I have an LG C8 and it turns the TV on and turns it off when I select Sleep Now. In the Apple menu under Remotes and Devices make sure that Control TV's and Receivers is set to "On".

Cheers!

Thanks I have this set on in my apple tv setting. I think because the LG TV is arc connected to the Sonos that the apple Tv won't do it to the tv too. How is your break and apple tv connected? O you Have two arcs?
Userlevel 7
Hi michael31986

Cheers!

Thanks I have this set on in my apple tv setting. I think because the LG TV is arc connected to the Sonos that the apple Tv won't do it to the tv too. How is your break and apple tv connected? O you Have two arcs?

Sorry, I should have added that my LG is connected to a Playbar (Optical) and not a Beam (HDMI_ARC). It very well could be that the Apple TV remote may not command the TV in your setup with the Beam in play via HDMI_ARC.
Hi michael31986

Cheers!

Sorry, I should have added that my LG is connected to a Playbar (Optical) and not a Beam (HDMI_ARC). It very well could be that the Apple TV remote may not command the TV in your setup with the Beam in play via HDMI_ARC.

I tried optical with beam but then I can't control the volume with my apple remote which I think is more important than turning it off.

It's weird that the volume won't change for the optical for the beam with the apple remote. Is that normal?
Userlevel 7
OK...My Beam is connected to my Samsung Plasma via HDMI_ARC. To be sure I used my AppleTV remote to do the following:

1. Turn on TV
2. Second click on Apple TV remote changes to Apple TV input
3. Control Volume of Beam (In AppleTV menu_Volume Control is set to Auto via HDMI Receiver)
4. Sleep Now returns TV to HDMI showing no input
5. Must use remote to turn TV off
OK...My Beam is connected to my Samsung Plasma via HDMI_ARC. To be sure I used my AppleTV remote to do the following:

1. Turn on TV
3. Control Volume of Beam (In AppleTV menu_Volume Control is set to Auto via HDMI Receiver)
mine does aeme thing. When I sleep apple tv. It shows HDMI with no input. So annoying. Why can't it also just turn off the TV. Or at least have Alexa be able to turn tv off.

Do any TV's turns off with the Sonos beam?
Userlevel 7

Read my first post to you :8

1. Turn on TV
mine does aeme thing. When I sleep apple tv. It shows HDMI with no input. So annoying. Why can't it also just turn off the TV. Or at least have Alexa be able to turn tv off.

my Apple TV under volume control says auto via ir Tv. Is that what you have
Hmm so it lookels like my LG remote tv will turn off my apple tv and tv so that's good and I can use it to control the menus on apple tv. At least won't need two remotes.

I'm wondering if the lg OLED TV's don't allow off by Alexa. Is their a list of users who beams control Tv off