Sonos Beam voice control with Samsung TV

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies
Has anyone been able to get the Sonos beam voice command: "Alexa turn off TV" to work?

At this point I am able to get it to turn ON with voice and so far everything seem to be good except that the turn tv OFF via voice command is not working (and the random airplay not working and requiring to power cycle the beam).

The TV i have is the Samsung MU8000 series... I have checked the TV option and do have Anynet+ enabled.. don't see any options as mentioned in this thread for samsung (https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/enabling-cec-on-your-tv-for-beam-6810049)

I have other devices in which if I connect it to the tv ARC HDMI port (at this point not using beam)... those device would shut the tv down when they are power off or go to sleep... So it seem like the TV is capable of having devices connected via its ARC HDMI shut the tv down... I just can't seem to get the beam to via the Alexa voice command...

Has anyone had any luck with the Sonos Beam Alexa voice command to shut OFF a Samsung TV? If so, what model are you using by chance? Did you had to do anything special to get it to work?

Thanks,
Luu

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

This is exactly my situation. Frustrating!
The off command works for me when the tv input is set to the Sonos input. Of course that's not very helpful. In your test with other devices connected to hdmi arc, was your tv set to a different hdmi input or to the hdmi-arc input?

There is also the possibility that CEC capable devices connected to non-ARC inputs is causing issue. If you disconnect other devices, or confirm CEC is turned off for that device, does the off command work?

I'm on the 6000 series, and not really done testing everything out, so experiences may vary.
@W4KX - What the exact model are you using? - Yes, this is very frustrating! Got sold on the fact that you can potentially turn on the TV via voice and can issue command to play x show/movie on fire tv...(+ sonos sound tend to be fairly good + nice addition to the sonos network)... afterward turn the TV off by voice command... But this functionality kinda throw a huge wrench in this idea of controlling your TV experience by voice...

@melvimbe - Which 6000 series are you on (NU, MU, KS, JU, JS etc...)?

When I tested the Sonos beam, I have also tried testing it so that the Beam is the only HDMI device that connected (I had even unplug the device for 10min as some of post suggested to wipe out anything lingering)... But the result is the same...

@melvimbe - not sure what model you are on but if its the 6000 series.... Is your Samsung TV using the Tizen OS (look like this: https://www.iotgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Smart-TV-Service-CES-2017-Sports.jpg )

and for the AnyNet+ option does your 6000 series still have the "Auto-turn off" option?...

For my TV.. the MU-8000 series there is only an option for AnyNet+ to be on/off (not options about the "Auto-turn off" - but considering that other devices can turn the TV off - maybe Samsung just have it included as part of the AnyNet+ by default?)..

If anyone is reading this and was able to get the Voice Command for the TV to turn OFF to WORK. Can you post you the model you are using... I am curious if its only certain Samsung TV model/series...
I was just trying out some more things and found out something interesting... it seem that the off voice command would work IF I switch the TV Source to the one that the Beam is using...... This seem to kind of defeat the point.. especially when pair their advertisement and instruction on how to control fire-tv with sonos (but at the end of the day, with the voice experience... you still have to have the remote to turn off your tv...). (there also doesn't seem to be any way to switch Source connection via voice).

Seem like if I want to get that voice experience... the solution would just go with a Amazon Cube TV and use my non-sonos setup (or + connect if I want to get music out of those non-sonos speaker)..
I have an mu8000 and have same issue. can't turn the TV off, only on. fearing that it isn't going to work w/ our model w/o some kind fo software update from one of the two.
@Lou. I should apologies. I actually have 2 Samsung TVs and the house and I believe I got model numbers confused.

I have a UN55EH6000F, which does not have ARC enabled. I set this up by optical, no issues.

The other is an MU6100...I don't have the exact number in front of me. The UI is similar to your display, but since I use the TV for just xbox only, I don't use all the features and can't confirm on the same version. I can get the version off the tv later if needed, but I am update to date on the firmware.

I agree with you, the on/off commands only work when the tv is on the input of the device sending the command. Again, not useful for the Sonos Beam. It's clear that the Beam is acknowledging and sending the command, the Samsung is just ignoring it. Related to this, I found that my xbox is also able to on/off the tv and this works just fine on the TV, even though the xbox is not connected to the HDMI-ARC port. I haven't confirmed whether this is done through the HDMI cable (most likely) or through IR.

The command to switch inputs doesn't work at all, and Alexa tells me that the feature is not supported on this TV. Since I only us xbox on this tv, not really an issue for me. Basically, I don't need to control functions from the Beam at all. However, I do wish these feature would work as I do plan on upgrading my previously mentioned other Samsung TV...not likely to be another Samsung.
---
I did a lot of testing last night. I have a 3rd Sony TV in the house that has ARC, and currently have a FireTV Cube that's supposed to utilized the ARC connection with CEC commands. I connect the Cube to the Samsung and the Beam to the Sony. With the Cube on Samsung, after setup, I got a lot of initial errors. It seemed that the Cube was trying to use CEC. After 4-5 times, the errors seemed to go away. Then, I disconnected the HDMI cable and tried the same voice commands again, and they all worked. Basically, it seems the cube 'cheats' and uses IR commands whenever the CEC commands aren't working.

On the Sony TV, the Beam functionality was improved. On and off worked all the time. Switching inputs did not work, getting the same message that the feature was not supported. It may be that I did not get it completely setup correctly and Alexa was still thinking it was connected to the Samsung on this.

I'd test more if I had other tvs to test with, but the evidence is pointing towards this being an issue with Samsung's implementation of CEC, not on the Sonos side.
--
Side note: Getting the Cube back on the Sony was easy. I don't even have to make sure I use the ARC port. Getting the Beam on Samsung was a pain. It didn't connect and it took me a while before I chose the right solution. Basically, Samsung wanted to remember that it was connected to a cube and didn't want to now connect to the Beam. I disconnected my xbox and unplugged the tv and beam. After turning on and reconnecting, the Beam connected to the tv without issue.
Badge +2
Same thing here. I have the Samsung UN60H7150 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model) and went through every setting last night with no luck. Alexa states that she doesn't know a device by that name, so I even tried changing the name of the TV to [tv]TV, but no luck.

I'm now questioning whether I should keep the unit or not. The only thing going for it is the Playbar is old and the Playbase is way too big when using a wall-mounted TV.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ID2HGK4/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_j9XvBb6ES4A1B
Same thing here. I have the Samsung UN60H7150 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2014 Model) and went through every setting last night with no luck. Alexa states that she doesn't know a device by that name, so I even tried changing the name of the TV to [tv]TV, but no luck.

I'm now questioning whether I should keep the unit or not. The only thing going for it is the Playbar is old and the Playbase is way too big when using a wall-mounted TV.

You're getting the audio to work though correct? I should have stated that I'm very happy with the audio from the Beam. Audio through hdmi connection (ARC) seems to be way more reliable than CEC at this point in time.

If you want 'bigger' sound, then I think the playbar makes sense. However, I do think the built in voice control (for music and general Alexa) as well as the updated look makes the Beam a great product. CEC controls not working is disappointing, but not the end of the world, at least to me anyway.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hey Brad,

I'm researching TV ON/OFF issues related to Beam and saw your post.

I have the Samsung UN75H7150 (same series as yours) and have no issue with Beam/Alexa turning this TV On and Off.
The software version is 2210. The TV is named " [tv] Living room " but I've never had to speak that name. Just "Alexa, turn the tv on (or) off" and it worked every time. I have an older Samsung ES series TV and bEAM/Alexa ON/OFF works perfectly on that set too. Interestingly, on both of these older TVs the name displayed on screen when the Beam is adjusting the volume via HDMI/ARC is "Beam" or "Sonos Beam" but my new NU series Samsung is a different story...

My new Samsung UN55NU7100 cannot be turned Off with the Beam. It can only be turned On. The name displayed on screen when adjusting the volume via HDMI/ARC is "Receiver". The TV doesn't seem to access the Beam's actual name. One thing I have learner over the years about Samsung TV's is that there almost always software issues that get fixed over time. I hope this is one of them.

Good luck with your UN60H7150, it should be able to turn On and Off with the Beam
I have beam and samsung 40K5500. I can say "Alexa turn the tv on" and it does. Same for off. What I really want to do is say "Alexa, set the tv to channel 1" etc. Will this ever work?
Everyone struggling with this, I think I have found the route cause for most of us.

If your Beam voice commands all work (TV on, volume up etc), except for turning off the TV, then check first whether if when you are "watching" the HDMI channel that your beam is connected to (shows a nice black and white Sonos pattern) you are able to successfully ask the beam to "turn off the tv".

If so, then you are suffering from the same Samsung issue as me. I own a Samsung 40NU7120 which means it is a 40" 2018 7 Series UHD TV. Certainly all of this year's Samsung TV's only allow a CEC/ARC/Anynet command of "TV off" to work if the TV is actually "watching" the HDMI channel that the device issuing the command is connected too. Considering the increasing prevalence of Smart speakers through which users might turn off their TV by voice, this is not a smart choice from Samsung.

My hope is that this will be fixed by a software update from Samsung, especially if enough noise is made about it. I have heard that some LG tv's have taken the same approach. The thinking behind this is to prevent your TV inadvertent turning off because you have turned off a periphery device that you are not actually watching, ideally users should be given the choice as to whether to enable or disable this feature within Anynet+ settings.

FYI another Samsung smart TV I have from around 2015/16 has no such issue, if connected I am able to turn off that TV using voice commands from the Beam. Annoying to find that after "upgrading" from that old TV I have lost a really useful feature.
Jambo's hit the nail on the head.

I'm trying with a Samsung UE50NU7092 and a Beam. The Beam is able to turn the TV on but in order to turn it off, I have to select HDMI 1 (the non HDMI-ARC port) first. This seems completely backwards.

Sort it out please, Samsung.
I have same issue with new QE65Q7FNA. Struggled to recognise Sonos beam when setting up, can turn TV on with Alexa but not off . All worked fine on previous UE46D800YUXXU . Minor but annoying . Do Sonos not monitor this community to give technical response
Also finding that microphone is not as effective when volume turned up
Userlevel 1
Badge
Everyone struggling with this, I think I have found the route cause for most of us.

If your Beam voice commands all work (TV on, volume up etc), except for turning off the TV, then check first whether if when you are "watching" the HDMI channel that your beam is connected to (shows a nice black and white Sonos pattern) you are able to successfully ask the beam to "turn off the tv".

If so, then you are suffering from the same Samsung issue as me. I own a Samsung 40NU7120 which means it is a 40" 2018 7 Series UHD TV. Certainly all of this year's Samsung TV's only allow a CEC/ARC/Anynet command of "TV off" to work if the TV is actually "watching" the HDMI channel that the device issuing the command is connected too. Considering the increasing prevalence of Smart speakers through which users might turn off their TV by voice, this is not a smart choice from Samsung.

My hope is that this will be fixed by a software update from Samsung, especially if enough noise is made about it. I have heard that some LG tv's have taken the same approach. The thinking behind this is to prevent your TV inadvertent turning off because you have turned off a periphery device that you are not actually watching, ideally users should be given the choice as to whether to enable or disable this feature within Anynet+ settings.

FYI another Samsung smart TV I have from around 2015/16 has no such issue, if connected I am able to turn off that TV using voice commands from the Beam. Annoying to find that after "upgrading" from that old TV I have lost a really useful feature.

spot on

i have a 2018 nu8000 and the turn off does not work, outside of being on the beam hdmi...which is not useful
Have a Samsung NU7400 55in. Same issue. You’d also think Sonos / Amazon and the Tv manufacturers would bang heads together before via field: beta tests so it’s not left for the customer to try and find an answer. In the way Apple do with apps and third party manufacturers
Hello same issue here New Samsung QE49Q6F (01/2019) can turn tv on with Alexa voice but not turn it off. Is this an issue of Samsung Anynet+ or Alexa or Sonos. Alexa respond ok, but nothing is happening. So If I am reverse engineering it, command executed by Alexa and send back to Sonos and then back to Samsung TV. How can we find out that the command to the TV is finding is way back. SONOS is there a way to detect this ?
Exact same issue here. New Samsung 49Q6FN tv. Can turn on with Alexa but not off. Only turns off if on Sonos HDMI input selected which defeats the point. Really wish this would be fixed.