Answered

Sonos Beam Voice Commands

• 13 August 2018
  • 4 replies

Is there any way to use voice commands (such as play music, volume up/down, stop, night-mode) on the Sonos beam without using/enabling Alexa?

I love the soundbar, but after an unfortunate few events using Alexa and an echo dot (some funny, some not so funny), I'd rather not enable the full features of Alexa to get the voice activation
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 August 2018, 11:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If you use Apple iOS and HomeKit on an iPhone/iPad controller you can use Siri instead for AirPlay sources, Apple Music etc. Otherwise turning off Alexa is really the same as muting your Beams microphone.
At this point, Alexa is the only voice interpretation engine which Sonos supports.
That is a shame. Thank you for the responses though...I think there is a market for 'basic' voice commands for controlling simple things like the volume or NightMode/Speed Enchanement, without the need for Alexa/Siri/Google integration.
I don't know how much of a market there is. I get what you're saying, but using a cloud based service for voice control is probably going to be here for awhile, since you can get a lot more features and constant improvements. I do think the tech will come back around to the majority of processing being done on a local server, but we are a long ways away from that.