Answered

Sonos Beam controlled by Alexa

• 22 December 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

We have just bought a Sonos Beam , and use a Amazon Ech Dot to control it for  radio stations / Music etc with Amazon Music. We also have a Alexa Plug which has a Floor lamp plugged into it. When we give the Command “Light off”, it works but allways ends with loud  OK from the Beam. How do i stop this, i have looked at the settings on the Echo dot and the command section were it says no replys is clicked off..

Any help appreciated 

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 23 December 2021, 09:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Is the mic turned off on the Beam?  I have a few rooms with both echos and Sonos in the room, and just keep Sonos mics off all the time.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

The mic light is off on the Beam, Th echo dot is configured to use the beam, using the echo dot next to were we sit is much better than shouting at the beam. Really pleased with the Beam sound but this loud ok is annoying, could it be anything with the Alexa plug the lamp is connected to.

The mic light is off on the Beam, Th echo dot is configured to use the beam, using the echo dot next to were we sit is much better than shouting at the beam. Really pleased with the Beam sound but this loud ok is annoying, could it be anything with the Alexa plug the lamp is connected to.

Check the Amazon Alexa App for ‘groups’ and see what happens if you remove the Beam from the first section of the group (that’s in addition to switching off its mic). I’m thinking that may possibly resolve your issue.🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry if this is what you meant about setting 'no replies' but have you set 'Brief Mode' to Enable in Alexa App>settings>voice responses?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Ill check 

Sorry if this is what you meant about setting 'no replies' but have you set 'Brief Mode' to Enable Alexa App>settings>voice responses?

Ill check this, never noticed Brief Mode...Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Check the Amazon Alexa App for ‘groups’ and see what happens if you remove the Beam from the first section of the group (that’s in addition to switching off its mic). I’m thinking that may possibly resolve your issue.🤞

I may try this, but had enough trouble setting up the Beam to work with the Echo Dot im reluctant to try at the moment. Funny thing is before we had the Beam we had a Sonos One and SL paired up in stereo and  set up for the echo dot to control them, it never happened with that set up. The ONE and SL are no longer in the room, at present they’re put away till we decide what to do with them. I did fancy using them along with the beam, but that wont work with room layout, which cant be changed

Another thing to look at.  For the settings on your echo, there is a “Connected Devices” section.  For “Speaker”, it should be set to “Built-in speaker”.  This setting is not for music playback, but to set which speaker Alexa voice responds from, so that Alexa will always talk to you from your echo, not from your Beam.

That is, unless you do want Alexa to respond from the Beam.  In that case, you might want to look at the Alexa device settings for the Beam, and make sure request sounds are turned off.  I honestly haven’t messed with these settings in some time, so not sure if functionalty has changed in this area.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Sorry if this is what you meant about setting 'no replies' but have you set 'Brief Mode' to Enable in Alexa App>settings>voice responses?

Thanks for that, after setting it to brief mode, it doesnt reply with a loud OK instead its a very quiet beep, which is perfect.