Question

Sonos Beam + Alexa: "Didn't find any smart home device" issue

• 9 September 2020
  • 26 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Ah - hadn’t realised that, I thought that it could do that, so thanks for clarifying.

So I don’t have a Hue Hub, as the Hue bulbs don’t need one and can be controlled directly by Alexa.  But my question is can the Beam itself turn these on and off or does a real Echo unit have to do it?

If Beam can, then I can bring my bulbs into the house, get them discovered and put them back, and let the Beam control them.  if not then I have to buy a Hue Switch or Hub, as the Echos are in the house like 20-30 yards away and they don’t quite stretch that far.

The Beam will be able to control them as long as Alexa has discovered them and they are ‘on-line’ from an Alexa viewpoint.

Hue bulbs, of which I have loads, use a Zigbee wi-fi protocol to communicate with each other.  You can either control them via your phone & bluetooth (Latest bulbs only), via a Hue dimmer switch or via a Hue hub. The Echo Show can also act as a Zigbee hub, not sure if you have one of these? Do you have the same wi-fi coverage in your garden room that Alexa is connected too? 

Personally I would recommend getting the Hue dimmer switch as least.