Sonos and Alexa Group Rename Issues

• 20 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Hello. The Amazon Alexa App will not allow me to rename Sonos speakers fully. I have a large amount of automated devices and do not want to rename my groups for example “my living room” “my master bedroom”. I want to keep my Alexa groups as living room and master bedroom.

So I have tried changing my speaker names in the SONOS app with little success. For example “Upstairs Sonos” and “Office Sonos” and “Downstairs Sonos”. Connect Amps and P1s work...
However when I try “Living Room Sonos” or “Shower Room Sonos” or “Master Bedroom Sonos” - the app does not allow me to rename them as I run out of characters.

My question is - how can i rename them? Is there a easy solution or can I access settings through the speakers xml/web settings?

Or have I got my setup wrong? Is there a way to add Sonos “Living Room” to my “Living Room” Smart Home Groups, without amending the group names.

Thanks
Chris

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You should always rename your speakers in the Sonos App and then Discovery devices, rather than change in the Alexa App and it's best not to have duplicate names across Devices and Groups. Alexa Groups aren't yet supported by Sonos, so this may resolve your issue in the short term! 🙂

I use the naming convention Room Name + Device Type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc. With the addition of Main or Background for lights e.g. Kitchen Main Lights, Kitchen Background Lights

I haven't found a way around the maximum device name in the Sonos App and so have ended up changing Dinning Room to Diner
Normally I would agree though - I love saying ‘play radio 2 In the kitchen’ - it’s just natural and easy. I know I can still do this by calling it Kitchen Sonos and assigning it to the Alexa smart group kitchen. As long as there is one speaker (or Sonos paired speakers acting as one device e.g LR play3s).

I’m glad I’m not the only one having the rename length issue. I wonder if calling it “Living Sonos” and assigning it to the Alexa smart group “Living Room” will still allow me to say ‘play bbc radio 2 in the living room’.

I will test and see.
No that was an epic fail.
It says it can’t play music in the group yet, but I must specify a speaker.

I tried “master bed Sonos” in the Alexa smart group “master bedroom” and said “computer, play bbc radio 2 in the master bedroom”.

Maybe your right - the only way is to rename Sonos devices to unfamiliar room names like bedroom 1 Sonos or Lounge Sonos (instead of Living Room Sono).

I wonder if this can be done in the hidden web settings for Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
No that was an epic fail.
It says it can’t play music in the group yet, but I must specify a speaker.

I tried “master bed Sonos” in the Alexa smart group “master bedroom” and said “computer, play bbc radio 2 in the master bedroom”.

Maybe your right - the only way is to rename Sonos devices to unfamiliar room names like bedroom 1 Sonos or Lounge Sonos (instead of Living Room Sono).

I wonder if this can be done in the hidden web settings for Sonos speakers.

I'm not aware that Amazon are currently allowing any 3rd party speakers to be included in Alexa Groups in the way that you are trying. :(

I'm not aware of any hidden web settings.
Nothing in the web interface I can find.

I guess my only solution is like you say - temporary rename to Lounge Sonos, Shower Sonos and Bedroom Sonos; until the new Alexa 3rd party SDK.

Would have been easier if Sonos had longer names, just seems like another unnecessary limitation of Sonos.

Thanks for the help ?