Sonos & Alexa Multi-Room

• 9 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello, I have recently set up 2 Sonos ones as a stereo pair, they are very impressive! I have set up the Alexa app & Sonos app etc. This all seems to be working. I have some echos too. I was a little dissapointed to discover that you can’t set up Alexa Multi-Room with Sonos devices even though this has been opened up to third party devices: https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/c4bbbbaf-3559-4b5e-b920-83a9d594e732/alexa-play-rolling-in-the-deep-everywhere-announcing-multi-room-music-for-products-with-alexa-built-in?tag=androidpolice-20
Am I missing something? Also I don’t seem to be experiencing the irritating ‘ducking’ behaviour others have... maybe this has been fixed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos don't currently support syncing of audio across Sonos and none Sonos devices and to be honest I personally doubt if they ever will as their multi room syncing tech is proprietary.
What that blog post doesn't really mention is that their MRM protocol is only compatiable with stand alone third party speakers, not multi-room speaker systems like Sonos. It can't be used to really link two multiroom systems together so they play in sync.
Well that explains it, thanks. Its a real shame, as I can't afford a complete Sonos system, and the primary users are elderly and struggle with technology, so just being able to say to Alexa 'play ______ everywhere' would be a great. I would happily lose the Sonos MRM protocol in favour of Alexa Multi-room.