Question

Setting up play 1 with Alexa app.

• 15 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Hi, I’ve had my Play:1 speaker for a while and have just updated the app. There is an option called ‘voice services’ and when I click on it, it gives me two options. One of them is ‘set up voice control on your Sonos 1’. I have clicked on it and a picture of a speaker the same as mine is there, I have downloaded the Alexa app but when I click the option ‘set it up now’ on the Sonos app it just shuts off. I got the impression I didn’t need an actual amazon echo speaker and could set up the Alexa app with my speaker but it doesn’t seem to be working for me.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Alexa is only built into the Sonos One, not the Play:1. You would still need something like an Amazon Echo Dot to work with the Play:1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Alexa is only built into the Sonos One, not the Play:1. You would still need something like an Amazon Echo Dot to work with the Play:1.
This is correct.

The Voice Services option is available in the app, but you need to have a Sonos player with microphones to control. The Sonos One is the only one capable of doing that. To know what you're working with, check the top of the speaker. If it has buttons, it's a PLAY:1, if it has a touch surface with holes for the microphones and a microphone button, it's a Sonos One.