Routines Created via Alexa

• 28 December 2017
  • 24 replies

Created Routine via Alexa but only part works. The ISY lights turn off (action) but the Alexa nevers syas the phrase I added to the routine. It does not show the SONOS One as a speaker and it does not allow me to choose a speaker (it is blank). It also it does not play the phrase from the speaker I speak to. The speaker does work fine otherwise. I can play music, news and weather reports, from it with no issues. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The Sonos One doesn't yet support Alexa Routines.
That is strange because the light turns off fine using the routine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That is strange because the light turns off fine using the routine.

Sorry, perhaps I had too much Red Wine! I have Routines set up and can trigger them from my Sonos One :P

They work fine most times but sometimes the last action doesn't trigger but I think this is an Alexa issue.

Sorry for any confusion caused, they didn't initially support Routines but do now.
Hi,

I have exactly the same trouble! Alexa executes routines but when it comes to responding for example to announce my flash briefing or say good morning this is what occurs in the app?? (See attached pic)

Any ideas, it seemed to work before Christmas and now doesn’t... there was an update over Christmas did this cause the problem?

Everything else works fine!
That is the exact same issue I am having.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is this on just the Sonos One or any other Echo device?

I would suggest as a first step to select Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos then Disable and then Enable. Please retest.

Edit:

I haven't set-up any Phrase in a Routine, can you select the device that the Phrase is output on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Sonos One can initiate any of your Alexa Routines, however, Sonos devices can't at this time be included in the routine itself. That includes the Sonos One. For example, a Routine that turns on the lights and plays your Flash Briefing can be started via the Sonos One, the lights will turn on, but the briefing won't play.

I'll make sure the team knows you're interested in seeing Sonos includes in Alexa Routines in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I utilize Smartthings for routines and gives a lot more flexibility then alexa routines.
I'll make sure the team knows you're interested in seeing Sonos includes in Alexa Routines in the future.

Yes please! This would be an obvious feature to include.
I'm having the exact same issue. I hope Sonos ill solve that soon. Meanwhile is it possible to use Flash briefing in a routine with Smartthings ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m not sure. Maybe some smartthings alexa helper skills that may do that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
I utilize Smartthings for routines and gives a lot more flexibility then alexa routines.

I do as well. It would be nice, however, if Sonos provided a more comprehensive DTH so that it would be, for example, easy to Group or Ungroup the speakers. This would dramatically expand Sonos' Smart Home functionality, not to mention simplify a number of my WebCoRE pistons. 😃 Maybe when the new SDK is released?
Thanks for the reply/update.
The Sonos One can initiate any of your Alexa Routines, however, Sonos devices can't at this time be included in the routine itself. That includes the Sonos One. For example, a Routine that turns on the lights and plays your Flash Briefing can be started via the Sonos One, the lights will turn on, but the briefing won't play.

Many Thanks for this seems to be the only lacking feature really from my angle other than that I love it!

P.S some kind of grouping command for sonos speakers would really put the icing on the cake

I feel a little deceived. I bought Sonos One being disclosed it didn't have Amazon calling. Fine. I didn't know it wouldn't include other features like Routines and stuff. I thought it was fully Alexa enabled. #disappointed
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I understand your frustration, what you are experiencing is the difference between an Alexa device and an Alexa Enabled device. This distinction is made by Amazon and the Sonos One is considered a third party speaker that is Alexa Enabled.

I appreciate this thank you! This is the only feature that I find lacking, otherwise the product is great!
For reference though maybe let people know off right away? I thought I was going crazy trying to make it work and not figuring it out.
So it will reply to questions about traffic/news etc but you just can’t have them in a routine that sounds really stupid? Surely it’s basically the same?
I have a different issue with routines - whenever I attempt to trigger one from my Sonos One I get told "Audio actions are currently not supported on this device". Music (via Spotify) and controlling my Hue lights all works fine directly though.

I am an Amazon UK customer if that matters (I noticed I had to authorise the Sonos one on amazon.com when setting it up).
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Please add support to control Sonos devices using Alexa Rountines. I want to create a routine for “Alexa, Rock On” and have it crank a specific playlist in a certain room.
Badge
With more devices coming out being Alexa enabled, I’ve come to realize that certain functions aren’t available. It would be nice to have Sonos speakers included in routines as my primary speaker. The drop in function would be nice as well.

Other than that, the Alexa experience isn’t quite what I expected, but the more I use the Sonos One the more it seems to learn and do what I want it to do.

Hopefully there will be updates to enable routines and drop ins, but these functions seem to be held back by Amazon.
I was also just battling to set up a morning routine with lights and Alexa telling me things. I can’t do any routines though because it tells me no audio devices are available. I assume from the above, that this is because Sonos One is not an actual Alexa device. This is really annoying because to get anything to work I need to go out and buy an Alexa speaker. Bit useless isn’t it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I was also just battling to set up a morning routine with lights and Alexa telling me things. I can’t do any routines though because it tells me no audio devices are available. I assume from the above, that this is because Sonos One is not an actual Alexa device. This is really annoying because to get anything to work I need to go out and buy an Alexa speaker. Bit useless isn’t it?

My personal view is that this will must likely work at some pont, just not currently.
Created Routine via Alexa but only part works. The ISY lights turn off (action) but the Alexa nevers syas the phrase I added to the routine. It does not show the SONOS One as a speaker and it does not allow me to choose a speaker (it is blank). It also it does not play the phrase from the speaker I speak to. The speaker does work fine otherwise. I can play music, news and weather reports, from it with no issues. Any ideas?

I found a workaround.

Download the free Yonomi app.
Set up an account, get it to search for your Sonos & Alexa (should be fairly simple), then connect/authorise it with your Alexa account.
Then setup a routine in Yonomi (such as Pause Sonos).
In the Alexa app, get it to search for new devices. It may or may not come back that it found anything (sometimes doesn't, sometimes says it found a new scene), either way you should now have a new scene (your Yonomi routine) listed when you try to setup an Alexa routine.
e.g. I have an Alexa routine that pauses off my Sonos, turns down the room radiator and switches on the lights in another room. The Sonos part is where it calls the Yonomi app.