Answered

Reminders?

• 12 November 2017
  • 20 replies

Badge
Is the Sonos One supposed to be able to set reminders? The Echo can. Alexa told me it cannot set a reminder on this device.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 17 January 2018, 23:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Nope you can't. One of many limitations.
The Sonos One isn’t an Echo. If you’re controlling your Sonos One through an Echo set your reminder on the Echo.
Has Sonos announced any plans to bring Alexa Reminders support to the Sonos One speaker? Thanks! Any info shared for when this feature may arrive is helpful!
One neat trick you can do is set an alarm or reminder on a Dot that is hard wired to a Sonos Play5 or Connect Amp and then group that Sonos player with all of your other Sonos players. When the alarm or reminder sounds you will be able to hear it anywhere you are in the house... something Alexa can't currently do on her own even with grouped Echos.
Hi @sonos do you have plans to incorporate reminders to the One. Seems like a cop out to not to have that feature.
Remember, it's entirely possible that the restriction is imposed by Amazon, so that they can differentiate between their own hardware, and Alexa-enabled devices.

I don't know that for certain about this feature, but I wouldn't automatically assume it's an issue with Sonos. Things get sticky when you start dealing with two companies and feature sets.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Remember, it's entirely possible that the restriction is imposed by Amazon, so that they can differentiate between their own hardware, and Alexa-enabled devices.

I don't know that for certain about this feature, but I wouldn't automatically assume it's an issue with Sonos. Things get sticky when you start dealing with two companies and feature sets.

Amazon may be the one to set restrictions. The problem, especially for new consumers, is the difference between Alexa enabled and the actual Echo products. Neither Amazon nor Sonos has done enough to explain this difference.
Such a basic feature that should be there, I mean seriously..come on!
Have to say, I'm really disappointed with the features on the Sonos One. Not being able to do something as basic as setting reminders is shocking considering the cost.
It should be made clear to buyers that Sonos One is a wifi based speaker that doesn't support bluetooth and has some limited Alexa capability.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I wanted to update you all and let you know that Reminders are now working on the Sonos One with Alexa. For more details about how reminders on Alexa work, check it out here.
That’s not my experience when trying to set a reminder via the iOS Alexa App which always says ‘unable to update your reminder’
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@JohnB58, are you using a Sonos One? Are you able to ask it to set a reminder and have that go off?
@JohnB58, are you using a Sonos One? Are you able to ask it to set a reminder and have that go off?
I am using a Sonos One and have previously failed to set a reminder verbally but haven’t been able to retry since I saw your post saying it now works.

It clearly still doesn’t work via the App.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
When using the app, the Sonos One will be listed twice, you need to select the name that's called "Sonos One" not the one that's the name of the room in the Sonos app. I just tested it out using the Android app and it works fine if you select the right name, but gives the unable error if you select just the room name.
I used the Alexa app to set a reminder on my new Sonos One and it worked perfectly!
"Alexa, set a reminder for tomorrow morning to take out the trash"... She then asked me what time in the morning, I told her and the next morning... Right on cue!
When using the app, the Sonos One will be listed twice, you need to select the name that's called "Sonos One" not the one that's the name of the room in the Sonos app. I just tested it out using the Android app and it works fine if you select the right name, but gives the unable error if you select just the room name.
The reminder sets on iOS too when you use the ‘other’ name so thanks for that. I never even noticed that the one device had two names.

I’ll also try it verbally sometime tomorrow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The reminder sets on iOS too when you use the ‘other’ name so thanks for that. I never even noticed that the one device had two names.
Yeah, the two names thing can be a little confusing. Unfortunately, it couldn't be avoided. Each Sonos One shows up as a Sonos Player and as an Alexa device, both of which have their own settings and options (likely with more to come someday).
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Reminders are no longer working on my Sonos Ones or Beam. The different rooms that are usually labeled Sonos are gone on the Alexa app. The Alexa “rooms” are there but not the different Sonos devices. Alexa will respond to questions through the Sonos speaker setup but will no longer remind me of things, although she will verbally confirm through my Sonos speakers that she has set a reminder. But then she fails to deliver the reminder. Timers also do not go off (they were previously; don’t know what happened.)

I have uninstalled the Alexa app and reconfigured Alexa in every room and discovered devices but reminders are not working for me currently.