Answered

Recent update now breaking groups with Alexa

• 11 December 2018
  • 55 replies

After an update to the Sonos software this weekend, the Alexa integration is "broken" in that now, starting music using voice commands breaks apart groups of speakers. Are there new commands, or is there a way to roll back the software version to one that actually worked? If this is the "new normal," then I will need to discuss returning all of the Sonos products I own and looking into a new Alexa compatible system.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 13 December 2018, 23:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@UKMedia,

I've looked at the instructions you linked to and, frankly, too bl**dy complicated.

Old method: Go into Sonos app, click on room, click on Group, tick rooms, done.

Scenario One: I need a 'controlling device'; then I need to create an Alexa group (so if I want different groups for different listening needs I need to create a whole host of Alexa groups) and then come up with yet more 'unique' names for the Alexa group?

Sorry, but voice conrtrol was meant to make things easier.

Please can I have the old, simple, effective way of creating a Sonos group and then an Alexa command about any speaker in that group applies to the whole group. Simples.

I just call the Alexa Group the name of the room the Alexa device is located in - hardly confusing... 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hello @UKMedia. Unfortunately, in this case, I adopted the whole IoT scene rather early on so in my 'lounge' I currently have:

Sonos Beam (connected to a smart TV...)
Sonos ZP80
2 x Hive active lights
1 x WeMo smart plug.

Ideally I'd like to call them all 'lounge' but that results in some, ahem, confusion. Thus having to create yet another group for 'the lounge' requires some imagination - and effort when trying to remember what was called what!

However we have probably reached an impasse at this point. I'll consider the procedure you linked to but I remain of the firm view that the 'old' way of Alexa controlling Sonos speakers is far and away better than the new version and I would vote for a return - change isn't always good!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello @UKMedia. Unfortunately, in this case, I adopted the whole IoT scene rather early on so in my 'lounge' I currently have:

Sonos Beam (connected to a smart TV...)
Sonos ZP80
2 x Hive active lights
1 x WeMo smart plug.

Ideally I'd like to call them all 'lounge' but that results in some, ahem, confusion. Thus having to create yet another group for 'the lounge' requires some imagination - and effort when trying to remember what was called what!

However we have probably reached an impasse at this point. I'll consider the procedure you linked to but I remain of the firm view that the 'old' way of Alexa controlling Sonos speakers is far and away better than the new version and I would vote for a return - change isn't always good!

I understand 100% your issue, The method I used to get around this is to name devices by the naming standard 'Room Name + Device Type'. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, etc This leaves Group names with the more simple name. e.g. Lounge, Kitchen. I also adopted the standard naming of '[Room Name] + Main Lights' and '[Room Name] + Background Lights' - where 'Main' are the wall switches (I use LightWaveRF} and 'Background' are Smart Plugs.

With regard to the change, I'm not 100% sure but I think Amazon was driving this and Sonos ensured they were compliant.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks for the suggestion on device naming. I've been thinking I need something more structured for a while given the proliferation of IoT devices I have so perhaps I will change the names and try your method - and then update the WeMo rules....and the Hive Actions....and the IFTTT recipes. Sigh.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for the suggestion on device naming. I've been thinking I need something more structured for a while given the proliferation of IoT devices I have so perhaps I will change the names and try your method - and then update the WeMo rules....and the Hive Actions....and the IFTTT recipes. Sigh.
...and some red wine! 🙂