Answered

Play Echo and Sonos One Simultaneously

• 12 February 2018
  • 8 replies

Can someone please advise how to have Sonos One and Echo units play together?

I bought the Sonos One yesterday and was surprised when that capability was not available. I tried syncing for hours with not success. I could only play one song on my two echo's and a different on on my Sonos. Most likely will return the Sonos One if it's not an option.

Is that capability out there? Can someone instruct how to do it?

Thank you for your help!
icon

Best answer by tcafranz 17 May 2018, 11:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is not available yet. I'm not sure it will ever be able to work work both devices in sync.
Badge
Does this mean that Sonos doesn't recognize the Echo devices as speakers for multi-room play?
Yes, it means that and vice versa. Echo devices cannot group with non-echo devices (including Alexa enabled devices like the Sonos One) to play multi-room audio. I understand why there is confusion about this functionality, it is somewhat logical to assume it's there, but neither Sonos or Amazon has ever claimed this as a feature.
The Alexa app in Sonos should be called Alexa Lite since it can not join an Alexa group or control anything but the small circle that it is directly connect to and only as long as it has a Sonos label on it.
That's not a bad name, but Amazon already decided that all devices that have Alexa, but not all the functions of an echo are called 'Alexa Enabled'.
The fact is that 'Alexa enabled' does not mean 'this is an Echo device'. That is true of Sonos One, and every other Alexa enabled device, I imagine. This may be poorly understood, but it's the way it is.
Badge
Got it to work. Workaround but it works lol. https://en.community.sonos.com/search/activity/topics?userid=7926722
Got it to work. Workaround but it works lol. https://en.community.sonos.com/search/activity/topics?userid=7926722 What is the solution there?