Answered

Play:1, control through Alexa

• 15 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I want to be able to tell Alexa (through the App or Voice) to play music on my Play:1 speakers and Playbar.

Alexa has found my Sonos One speakers and allows me to play music on them, but Alexa does not let me play music through my Sonos Play:1 and Playbar Speakers, as well as through my Sonos Groups/Rooms.

Spotify IS able to find my Sonos Groups and Speakers, and does allow me to Play through any of those speakers using the Spotify App.

I'm not sure why Alexa will not give me the option to use the Sonos Skill to play music through my Play:1 and Playbar speakers.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 15 February 2024, 15:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7

What rooms are the Playbar and Play:1 associated with in the Sonos app? Have you allowed Alexa to discover the speakers in the Alexa app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In addition to the suggestions from @GuitarSuperstar   Have you also created Groups in the Alexa App and listed the Sonos devices that you wish to output the audio in the speakers section?

Hi, thanks for your responses.

Within my Sonos System is "Family Room" Group, which has two Play:1 rear surround speakers that are paired with a Playbar, which is connected to my TV via optical cable.

Not sure if it's relevant, but Spotify DOES show "Family Room" as a speaker option. Alexa does not.

Additionally, I have:

x1 Play:1 in the kitchen. It is not grouped. 

x1 Sonos One Gen 2 in the Entryway. Not grouped.

and,

x1 Sonos One Gen 2 in the Bathroom. Not grouped. 

When I want to play the same music on all the speakers simaltanepusly, in the Sonos app, I temporarily group Family Room with the other three speakers.

It is within the Alexa App that I want to be able to have Family Room, Bathroom, Entryway, and All Sonos as a speaker option.

However, only the Sonos One are discoverable by the Alexa app. 

I have created groups in the Alexa app. So, I can add the Sonos One speakers to any group I create in the Alexa app, but am unable to add the Play:1 speakers or the Playbar because they are not being discovered through the Sonos Skill Alexa feature.

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging the affected speakers from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router. Then try to add the speakers manually to your devices in the Alexa app.