Answered

Play 1 and Amazon Alexa

I’m having trouble linking the Sonos App with Alexa can’t set up voice control any help much appreciated 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 4 July 2023, 10:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Play 1 does not have a microphone. You need an Amazon device to command it.

Thanks for your help I didn’t realise it needed one  I thought you controlled it by Alexa app on phone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Shrinking violet 

You should be able to use Alexa on your phone to control your Play:1 speaker, though it is not officially supported (not in the sense that the software won’t do it, just in that if it doesn’t work, we can’t assist directly).

Have you added the Sonos skill to your Alexa setup? That is the only step you need take. Alexa App » More » Skills & Games » search Sonos » Sonos » Enable to Use, then sign in with your Sonos account.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your help but I’m going to upgrade to an One sl

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Shrinking violet 

Please note that a One SL is as close to a Play:1 as you can currently get.

A normal One (not a SL) has an in-built microphone, however, which means it can run Alexa itself, and only costs fractionally more.

I hope this helps.

I was getting a bit mixed up with the models I meant a normal One 

I was getting a bit mixed up with the models I meant a normal One 

Try installing the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App in anycase, or if it’s already installed, disable and re-enable it again and allow it to rescan for devices.

Whilst you are in the Amazon App, perhaps also check there are no duplicate entries in the Alexa device list too and for good measure keep your Sonos product(s) uniquely named compared to any other smarthome device. 

I can provide you with some general information about these devices.

The Sonos Play:1 is a compact wireless speaker that is part of the Sonos ecosystem. It can be used to play music, podcasts, audiobooks, and more. You can control the Sonos Play:1 through the Sonos app on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. The Sonos system supports various streaming services, allowing you to access a wide range of content.

Amazon Alexa is a virtual assistant developed by Amazon. It is available on various devices, including Amazon Echo smart speakers. With Alexa, you can perform various tasks using voice commands, such as playing music, controlling smart home devices, setting reminders, answering questions, and more.

If you have a Sonos Play:1 and want to integrate it with Amazon Alexa, you can do so by enabling the Sonos skill within the Alexa app. This allows you to control your Sonos speaker using voice commands through an Alexa-enabled device.

Please refer to the user manuals and official documentation for the Sonos Play:1 and Amazon Alexa for specific instructions on how to set up and use these devices together.

That’s extremely generic information, and very chat bot like. 

That’s extremely generic information, and very chat bot like. 

Yeah, another of those ChatGPT posts we’ve been seeing lately.