Answered

Pandora Thumbs Up/Down

• 16 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Hey Everyone,

I’m running the latest iOS app and firmware on my Sonos One’s. I noticed that sometimes Pandora’s thumbs up/down buttons are missing from the Sonos iOS app. I can still tell the Sono’s One’s Alexa to thumbs up/down, though. It seems that this happens when starting Pandora via Alexa and not via the Sonos app. Has anyone else noticed this?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 19 April 2018, 19:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, chuckyboy81070. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Does this only happen on your iOS device or do other controllers lose the thumb buttons?
Hey Keith,

I only have the Sonos app on my iOS devices (a couple of iPhones and an iPad Pro). I can say that the thumbs up/down buttons are missing from all of them whenever I initiate Pandora via Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Thanks for checking on that. I was able to test this further in the lab and found that this happens because of the way the content is being retrieved.

For example: When you select Pandora from within the Sonos controller app, the "conversation" is directly between Sonos and Pandora. This is what allows us to have the thumbs up and down buttons. In this instance, using Alexa to start playback of a station makes the connection to Pandora through Alexa. When the Sonos system is cut out from the direct conversation some features become unavailable.

Since that conversation between Alexa and Pandora was established, you could ask Alexa to "thumbs up this track" and she should respond, "Sure. Rating saved." 🆒
OK, I understand.

However, after that explanation, I would think that the Alexa app would show that Pandora is playing on my Sonos One and for me to be able to thumbs up/down there. But the Alexa app doesn’t shown anything playing on that Sonos.
I'm using the latest iPhone operating system: 11.4.1 with the latest Sonos software and I'm not using Alexa or Siri and when I go into "browse" and "Pandora" and "my stations" and then pick a station I do NOT get the option to thumbs up or down. So, this explanation doesn't seem correct to me. It makes Sonos a bummer to use because it so nullifies my ability to tailor it and grow my Thumbprint channel, etc. I would really appreciate it if you could assist me in finding a way I can use Pandora with Sonos and have the thumbs up and down capability...