Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I would buy 5 Sonos Ones if I could pair it with my existing Play:1s in each bedroom. If not I'll save the change and get dots instead.

Yeah, I'm considering buying another Dot and getting a couple of the Vaux speakers, unfortunately, Echos can't be made to work in stereo pairs at all at the moment, I'm hoping that's something that will change very soon.

https://ninety7life.com/products/vaux-echo-dot-speaker?variant=27663402891

But for the price of a single Play One, or ONE I can buy 2 echo dots and 2 Vaux Speakers
@Johnnie Walker, of course you're going to be able to find cheaper speaker solutions than Sonos. That was never a debate. If you think your Vaux speakers are going to sound any where near as good as Sonos will, I think you'll be rather disappointed.

I don't have a big issue with Sonos not allowing the Sonos One to pair/bond as if it was a Play:1. On the service, it looks as if it's just to get you to buy 2 instead of 1, but here's some counterpoints.

- How many customers are going to replace their current pair of P:1s by getting a Sonos One instead of an echo dot? Especially if it sounds no different? Some sure, but that probably isn't your biggest market.

- If they allowed pairing, then they would be deciding not to upgrade their existing design with the latest available. That would probably upset some customers, and give competitors a chance to 'catch up' to Sonos Perhaps the changes are minor, I don't know, but we shouldn't assume that making a P:1 w/Alexa on top is all that went in to this build.

- Since the P:1 has been out a while, it may be that it was time to reduce the price of this. Marketing probably sees $200 as the sweet spot for this, and it made sense to put in new tech for this to help justify the cost.

- Perhaps they felt like a pair of P:1s didn't sound better that a homepod, or Google Max, or other compete product. An improvement was required in order to beat the competition.

I get that it would be nice to be able do this odd pairing, but the reality is that I probably wasn't going to do that arraingement anyway. I
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
No, I don't expect them to sound as good as the Play 1's I currently have and use daily, but they would cost half the price!

I do however expect them to sound reasonably good from the reviews I've read, and certainly ok for somewhere like the bedroom.

Also, they're perfect for taking out into the garden ( as long as they're kept dry ) or moving around the house if needed.

Of course, if you wanted really good sound quality, most likely better than a pair of Play 1's or ONE's it's also possible to buy a pair of active speakers and connect them to Echo Dots.

In fact, I'd be interested to hear a good quality pair of active speakers connected to an echo dot, obviously it wouldn't be such an elegant solution as a Pair of Sonos speakers, but again, they would probably sound better for less money.

I've just seen these new speakers from Dynaudio, they look very interesting and versatile: https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/music/discover#
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback. There are several threads asking this question, and we're making sure to share all your feedback with the team. There are some technical reasons why the PLAY:1 and Sonos One can't bond as a pair. That may be something we are able to work around, but I don't have any specifics to share on if it'll happen.

To be clear for anyone new to the conversation, you can use Sonos One with all Sonos players. It can control what's playing on itself and other rooms through the built-in microphones via Amazon Alexa, and later on other assistants too, where available. However, Sonos One will only pair with another Sonos One if you are looking to set it up as a stereo pair or as part of a surround setup, it can't bond with a PLAY:1.
Recently purchased 2 Play Bars, a Sub, and 6 PLAY1's to run as stereo pairs. Now find out if I want Alexa through the speaker I now need to buy 6 new Sonos 1's???? As a loyal Sonos customer I'm very disappointed at this approach. Perhaps Sonos would be prepared to offer a buy back scheme for customers with PLAY1's now being forced to buy again if they want the feature?
Recently purchased 2 Play Bars, a Sub, and 6 PLAY1's to run as stereo pairs. Now find out if I want Alexa through the speaker I now need to buy 6 new Sonos 1's???? As a loyal Sonos customer I'm very disappointed at this approach. Perhaps Sonos would be prepared to offer a buy back scheme for customers with PLAY1's now being forced to buy again if they want the feature?

No, you do not have to purchase 6 new Sonos Ones. You can get voice control via any Alexa enabled device. You can pick up Echo Dots for $50 each. Even better, Amazon sells them like beer; cheaper by the six pack.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I know that a lot has been said on this topic already but I want to throw out a scenario that I think covers a large number of users. I happen to own a single Play 1 but I think this extends to people who own more Sonos speakers. I was planning to purchase a 2nd Play 1 to create a stereo pair but have been holding off to see how well the Alexa integration worked. I am relatively happy with the integration and may move forward with this plan but I would like to have the option of voice control with Apple Music. Since Airplay 2 will not come to the Play 1’s and I don’t think Amazon or Apple will allow Apple Music through Alexa, I don’t expect I will ever have this option without the Play One. Now I could buy a Play 1 for around $150 (or maybe better during Christmas sales) or I could sell my Play 1 and buy two Sonos One’s. I would expect the net cost of this to be around $300 with tax etc. So my increased cost for having the option to use Apple Music is $150 or double the cost of adding a Play 1. If I could pair the Play 1 with the Sonos One, I could get what I am looking by paying an additional $50 versus buying a 2nd Play 1 and I would be much more likely to go this route. I understand adding this functionality to pair the Play 1 with the Sonos One is not a priority at this time but it would be nice to know if there is a definitive plan to add it down the road or alternatively if it will never happen.
Alternately, you could purchase another PLAY:1 to make the stereo pair, and pick up a Amazon Echo Dot for $45 to control them. No need to replace all equipment at all.
I'll be cancelling my order for two One's. I cant see the point of having two Alexa interfaces in one room. I wanted them in two and wanted to pair them with a Play1 on the lounge as part of a surround sound system (currently is a Playbar, Sub and two Play1's), and also create a stereo pair in the kitchen (currently consists of two Play1's) with another Play1.

I'd sooner keep the stereo sound in those rooms than have Alexa
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I too would welcome the ability to pair my Play:1s with the new Ones, and would accept any sonic compromise that this may introduce. Like others have stated, the current inability for the two to be matched is discouraging any further purchases. I would happily buy the Ones if this relatively-simple upgrade to functionality were to be introduced.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Alternately, you could purchase another PLAY:1 to make the stereo pair, and pick up a Amazon Echo Dot for $45 to control them. No need to replace all equipment at all.

But the voice control via an Echo device isn't quite as good as it is with a Play One is it, as you have to add the room name after every command, for example, "Alexa, play Radiohead in the kitchen", also, it gets confusing when pausing and resuming music, as any playlist on your Echo device will rather than your Sonos speaker.

So in my case, I can start a TuneIn station playing using the Sonos app, and I can then say "Alexa, stop" and the radio will stop, but if I then say "Alexa, play" it will resume music via the Echo Dot.

This is confusing, and creates fragmentation in the user experience, I appreciate it's still early days and the integration is complex, but even if there could be a default output device set on the Echo that would be a big help.

I'd like to be able to set my Sonos speakers in my Kitchen as my default output, so all audio output is via the Sonos speakers, no matter how I phrase my commands to Alexa.
I own a Play:1 and a PLAYBAR and I will definitely buy the new SONOS ONE but only if I can pair it with my existing hardware to finally create the perfect surround system otherwise it will be very sad. As my self I guess a lot of Sonos lovers 😉
I am new to Sonos and was waiting for Exch integration to buy my system My main area is a great room in an open floorplan. I WAS going to use a PLAYBAR, Sonos ONE and Play:! plus a Sub-Woofer for surround sound. But, since you can't mix and match I either have to get two Play:1s or two Sonos ONEs. Question 1: Will two Sonos Onnes integrate with the PLAYBAR and Subwoofer for stereo surround sound? Question 2: If so, having two voice enabled devices in the same room is both annoying and confusing at times. But, it seems I just need to manually turn off the microphone on one of the Ones to avoid this, correct? Finally, if I forego the Ones altogether, can I control my Sonos speakers via an Amazon Echo Dot to get voice command ability?
1) Yes. They will be surround speakers for TV sources, and either Ambient surround or Full volume stereo for music sources, your choice.

2) Only one Sonos One will respond to you. It analyzes which is closer to the source of the voice and only that one will respond.

3) Yes, you could also get Play:1s and a Dot.
1) Yes. They will be surround speakers for TV sources, and either Ambient surround or Full volume stereo for music sources, your choice.

2) Only one Sonos One will respond to you. It analyzes which is closer to the source of the voice and only that one will respond.

3) Yes, you could also get Play:1s and a Dot.

Thanks for the quick response. One more thing, please.

I read in Ars Technica something about Sonos has removed a mounting bracket on the One that was on the Play:1. Does that mean it is no longer compatible with the stands available on the Sonos site?

Thanks!
Yes, the mounting hole is not there. Supposedly there will be stands with some other form of fastener.
Badge
Count me as another vote for pairing compatibility between the One and the Play1. I'm new to Sonos and just now planning expansion.
I was really hoping to replace one of the Play:1 speakers in my family room surround system (Playbar, Sub, 2x Play:1) to add Alexa capabilities, but since I can't pair the One and since the mounting hole is non-existent, looks like I'll have to go with a Dot. It's a shame really.
Badge
I received my Sonos One and only now did I learn I could not make a stereo pair with Play 1 😞

I also learned the mounting threads were removed. 😞
The one is a different speaker. If Sonos had called this speaker Sonos 1.5 and made it look difference no one would complain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
They may have complained if they subsequently found out that the new speaker had the same audio components inside and there was no great reason not to allow it or change the firm factor.
They may have complained if they subsequently found out that the new speaker had the same audio components inside and there was no great reason not to allow it or change the firm factor.

Except it does not have the same audio components inside. Sonos reps have stated that the only hardware shared with the Play:1 is the base and the power plug assembly. The rest, including the audio components, are all unique to the One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
It will be interesting to see how true that all is when someone does a teardown.
I've seen a few reviews stating the audio components and speaker are the same. The layout is not identical though. Either way it's not comparable to stereo pairing 'different' models I'd say and it would be nice to have the option. Signatures of 'identical' speakers can vary lots when placed on/in different places and really can't see this being too much a compromise on sound - if any.
It will be interesting to see how true that all is when someone does a teardown.
I've seen a few reviews stating the audio components and speaker are the same. The layout is not identical though. Either way it's not comparable to stereo pairing 'different' models I'd say and it would be nice to have the option. Signatures of 'identical' speakers can vary lots when placed on/in different places and really can't see this being too much a compromise on sound - if any.

I've personally looked through the grills at each. They are different components and configurations, not alike at all. Besides, any Sonos employee would be liable if they misrepresented the facts by stating something which was not in fact true. You can twist that any way you wish, but the fact is, they have different hardware except the base and plug.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Totally agree about misrepresentation, hence my interest in a teardown and reviews saying different.