Answered

Once I play everywhere I cannot make Alexa control individual rooms

• 17 November 2020
  • 4 replies

I’ve spent hours on this now.

I have an alexa-enabled sonos one and from there I can command different rooms (I have a One in the kitchen, a One in a kid’s room, a Play3 in the dining room, Play5+sub in living room and a Play1 in bedroom) to play music, but once I ask for a song to be played everywhere - and it indeed does play everywhere - I cannot get Alexa to go back to controlling just one room (even though it replies to say it is). The only way around it is to open the sonos controllers and ungroup the speakers. In fact, I think once there has been any grouping (lets say I grouped two rooms in the controller) I cannot get control over one of those rooms on a individual basis again.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Jed

edit: It seems I can break grouping as long I stop the music playing in that group and then go to command one of the speakers i.e. I cannot split the group up when it is playing music.

edit: the above edit seems unreliable fix. Doesnt always work. This is infuriating!

icon

Best answer by UKMedia 17 November 2020, 14:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When using Alexa to initiate music, the grouping is controlled by Alexa Groups. Giving the command 'Alexa, Play XXX on [Sonos Room]` should break any grouping and only play in the room specified.

When using Alexa to initiate music, the grouping is controlled by Alexa Groups. Giving the command 'Alexa, Play XXX on [Sonos Room]` should break any grouping and only play in the room specified.

Thanks for replying.

The exact command you suggest doesn’t break any grouping unfortunately. The speaker will say “playing xxx from spotify on kitchen” but continues to play around the whole house!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just tested on my S2 system and it works as I described. Are you on S1 or S2 of the App? Can you Disable then Re-Enable the Sonos skill in the Alexa App and retest.

I am on S2. I have disabled and re-enabled a few times today.

Sometimes I think I have cracked it: I tell Alexa to stop playing, ask it to play in a specific room and this will sometimes ungroup the speakers but then when I try another room they are apparently offline.

It is a nightmare

In the end I thought i could just isolate the Alexa sonos speaker from the rest of the house - that way it could only have have control over itself and then not get into a situation where once playing everywhere it cannot stop or deem other speakers offline, but despite removing all other devices on alexa app and disabling them I can still make this speaker play music everywhere if i want (I thought grouping restructed this).

Oh well.