Answered

Multiroom Alexa music with Sonos One & Echo Dot"

• 28 March 2018
  • 4 replies

I have an Echo dot ported to powered speakers and a Sonos One in the kitchen.

When asking Alexa on the Dot to play something it tells me Amazon Music is already playing in the kitchen and I need to set up multiroom music in Alexa, meaning the voice assistant obviously "sees" the Sonos One. How do I do get that multiroom setup going in Alexa?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 28 March 2018, 21:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

At this time, you cannot use both Sonos and Echos as multiple rooms. You can play to multiple Sonos, or multiple Echos, but not the same to all. There is a new SDK coming this year that will address multi-room for 3rd party speakers, but we have yet to see if Sonos can or will utilize this SDK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Alexa control is only one room at a time right now.

To group with another room or play something different in a second room - use the Sonos controller.
Oh do you mean I can use the Sonos app to send music to the Echo Dot?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No you can't group a Dot with a Sonos speaker. Only Sonos speakers can group together. So yea if you have a dot in one room and a Sonos One in the kitchen they both can not be grouped (and Amazon only allows you to play one at a time via voice control). If you have music playing on the dot and you want to play something else on the Sonos One you would need to do so in the controller.