Answered

Microphone Stopped Working Sonos One

Sonos One microphone stopped working.

Alexa still announces reminders, yet it does not respond to voice commands. The microphone has been turned off and on; the device has been unplugged and restarted; I even went as far as restoring the device to factory settings (which I have learned may not have been the best idea). I also deleted the Alexa service and then added the service back with the speaker announcing that the service has been “successfully added and the device is ready to use.” Microphone is still dead. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 March 2024, 17:53

View original

14 replies

I have exactly the same issue as you, and have also tried the same steps with no solution.

Only stopped working this morning which is weird, as it seems to have stopped working with you today too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Tommy Bone 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are aware of an issue affecting functionality of Alexa on S1 Sonos systems. We are investigating, but do not have an ETA for a resolution.

You can, however, cease troubleshooting - nothing you can do will help.

We will post here when there is an update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Tommy Bone 

We have released an update for S1 that we believe addresses this issue. Please check your system for updates and test. If you continue to see this issue after updating, we recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Thank you for your patience.

same problem: overnight impossible to activate the microphone. my sonos one version 16.1 . Il have reset several times but same behavior. Is there a method to check the status of the microphone (different from Alexa or Spotify or Sonos S2 which do not decode anything because they “can’t hear anything”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JJMRT 

The issue we were aware of only affected S1 systems, which would therefore not have been affecting you on 16.1. I recommend that you do not attempt further resets - if it did not help the first time, it won’t help on any subsequent attempts either.

Instead, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I’ll have the same problem with all my Sonos one after the app update 

Problem 1:  Sonos 1 microphone working well with Alexa for a year, then 2 months ago microphone light in no longer on, and voice control is lost. Have rebooted many times, disconnected and left in the cupboard for a month, deleted and re-downloaded all Sonos apps on all devices - microphone still is ‘off’, but Sonos is working normally with iPhone/iPad control. To me it looks like a microphone hardware failure.

Problem 2: Sonos sound started dropping out repeatedly, after working well for 2 years - no change to speaker position, router position, home wifi set up etc etc. 

Fortunately, after the attempts to restore microphone service (see above), Sonos sound seems to be behaving (at least since turned on again 3 days ago….)

Any comments/advice will be appreciated. Others had these problems? Life-time of a Sonos device? How long before replacement is indicated? 

Michael & Christine S

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @emvales Parkland 

Problem 1:  Sonos 1 microphone working well with Alexa for a year, then 2 months ago microphone light in no longer on, and voice control is lost. Have rebooted many times, disconnected and left in the cupboard for a month, deleted and re-downloaded all Sonos apps on all devices - microphone still is ‘off’, but Sonos is working normally with iPhone/iPad control. To me it looks like a microphone hardware failure.

Or, the voice service is unable to connect to the account on the server - this would result in the microphone being unable to turn on, and is much more likely. Please try removing the voice service from the speaker, then add it again. If this does not help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

Problem 2: Sonos sound started dropping out repeatedly, after working well for 2 years - no change to speaker position, router position, home wifi set up etc etc. 

Fortunately, after the attempts to restore microphone service (see above), Sonos sound seems to be behaving (at least since turned on again 3 days ago….)

There could be multiple reasons for this. The best thing to do is ask the speaker - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

Any comments/advice will be appreciated. Others had these problems? Life-time of a Sonos device? How long before replacement is indicated? 

Decades, ideally, but there are of course exceptions.

I hope this helps.

My system worked perfectly for years and now microphone isn’t working system wide.   Gotta be a Sonos bug.,  Super annoying they are not texting genie release and now I will have to sit in hold 

Microphone stopped working and says it’s off in settings but can’t turn it on! Has been working fine for years and just stopped. No light. And can’t turn back on! 

This is some kind of massive BUG, they put me through hours of resetting and things only got worse.   

Sonos will soon go in the trash if they don't release an update.  

Mine the same, alexa cant find the speaker, sonos wont pair with my other sonos speaker, microphone no light on, i recently changed broadband but have had no problem resetting my other devices, every time i try bluetooth doesnt even find any of the speakers , i did  a factory reset and reinstalled using the app , it says connected to my phone and connected in the app but nothing works even though its linked to my amazon account. very angry now and am considering putting it in the bin and just getting a different system, why oh why do you have to jump through hoops for hours to try and get it working, well p8888d off now.

Got the same issue with my Sonos Beam.  It has randomly decided that the microphone wont work, I’m VERY reluctant to do a factory reset and have to pair up my speakers again as every time I have had to do this has been a nightmare, usually taking several hours.  The Sonos software ruins what is a good hardware product.  How can the microphone function work fine for ages then suddenly Sonos messes it up??  Seriously considering putting all my Sonos components on eBay

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Scalini & @jonb66 

I refer you my earlier statement:

Hi @emvales Parkland 

Or, the voice service is unable to connect to the account on the server - this would result in the microphone being unable to turn on, and is much more likely. Please try removing the voice service from the speaker, then add it again. If this does not help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

I hope this helps.