Answered

Intermittent Alexa Voice Assistant.. Sonos Voice Control all OK!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

151 replies

Userlevel 1

I went through Support today, we confirmed that it is Software bug since Sonos Voice Control works fine and Alexa does not.

Everyone please keep reaching out to Support, and offer your diagnosis code even if they do not ask for it. Lets escalate this for a fix, as support even mentioned they care more about the cases apart from the Forum posts!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Would be nice if someone from Sonos community staff just says „Hello… we are aware of this now and reports it to the teams.“  😉

Would be nice if someone from Sonos community staff just says „Hello… we are aware of this now and reports it to the teams.“  😉

I would hazard a guess that Sonos are perhaps still gathering any available data at this very early stage, to try discover where the issues may lie. It might perhaps be on the Amazon Alexa side of things for example and so they may need the data to pass onto them. It’s probably best to report the issue to Sonos via this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

… together with any diagnostic (and often helpful video) information too. 

FWIW. I have reported this issue to Jose S. at Sonos Customer Support too with my diagnostic information and made reference back to this thread. It’s clear the matter is still very much under investigation and ongoing. In my own case the issue is intermittent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sure… if you are familiar with Sonos support work you know that things get in movement behind the curtain. But I just wanted to say that for all the rest of users it would be a nice sign of recognition if a Sonos mod leafs a short statement. 

Userlevel 1

Sure… if you are familiar with Sonos support work you know that things get in movement behind the curtain. But I just wanted to say that for all the rest of users it would be a nice sign of recognition if a Sonos mod leafs a short statement. 

I honestly agree, I think we should even be given a status update on this, I’d like to know if its being taken care or not so I know if I will be returning my devices or keep them because a fix is on the way.

Hi, I have exactly the same issue :/ ( France )

Userlevel 2
Badge

@drbabbers I’m happy (and sad) to say I have the exact same issue with my Era 100!

I have just been through the entire process with Sonos: tech support, multiple emails, and have just received a brand new unit (less than 5 hours ago from UPS) to replace the ‘faulty’ unit.

After setting it up, and adding Alexa: Boom - the exact same issue.

I have just emailed support again to let them know and see what the next steps are.

Userlevel 2

Sorry to hear that! I hope this issue gets resolved for everyone. In the mean time mine went back to the retailer and am due a refund. I’m still shocked at the timing and general awareness of this issue prior to my post..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I‘m not surprised that a new device has the same problem. If so many people suddenly run into the same problem that didn’t exist before on their devices, it’s not likely a hardware issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello Everyone,

today i went to my retailer and proceed a return of my Era 100. I exchange the product with another new one.

Here is the test with the new one : this exactly the same issue, so this is not an hardware problem. So this issue must be identified by sonos, this is not understandable that there is no reaction from Sonos ! This my first contact with this brand and i’m totally disappointed. I think now a return with a refund.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Watching these videos with sound makes me smile. The examples of attempting to wake an Era-100 wakes the Echo Dot in my office 😀

Userlevel 3
Badge

I tried to send a mail to the CEO of Sonos on the support page, maybe this will help .. or not ...

I’m just happy to wait patiently for the issue here to be fixed - I only reported my case yesterday to Sonos Support, so I will wait for the next three App/Firmware updates to see if things get fixed - it usually takes other manufacturers (like Apple/Google etc.) a couple of updates to get these kind of things resolved, tested and included in a release. I’ve just added an echo dot to the room for the time being and set that to control the Alexa ‘enabled’ group that contains the Era100s.

Userlevel 2

This is my 1st experience with Sonos kit and support so I’m also very disappointed. :/

This is my 1st experience with Sonos kit and support so I’m also very disappointed. :/

So what did Sonos Support say to you when you got in touch with them, with your diagnostic report?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Ken_Griffiths

I can tell you what Sonos support told me… they never heard of such a problem before and suggested to try a different wifi channel. Wuup wuup… diagosis showed nothing that could explain the problem. 
After I asked for it three times they promised to pass this on that someone can try to reproduce it. 
I wonder if there will be a feedback. 
Especially in this case I‘m disappointed, because generally I always had very good experiences with the support team. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Schlumpf Have just replied to Sonos Support with a link to this thread to show its not just a one off.

The fact they have sent me a brand new unit to replace the previous, and it has issues straight away; coupled with the fact that this never used to be a problem, shows that some firmware along the way has caused this.

Will await their response to my email and let everyone know (unless they reply directly in here, which would be appreciated, Sonos 😊).

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@RichTea

Imho reacting with a replacement sadly shows that they aren’t aware of the problem like it should be.

If someone from Sonos would have read this thread an would have sent this as a quick info to their support system, they could save money and time by avoiding replacements. 

I provided the evidence of this issue that I had gathered to support yesterday (Jose S.) who was extremely helpful. I was informed they would investigate the issue and escalate it, as necessary. Although I do not want to assume the outcome of their investigation here.

I gave Jose S. a link to this thread too. I was given a support reference asked/agreed to wait for the outcome. Not sure I could do any more than that.

However my own advice is, if you haven’t yet reported the issue to Support already, to obviously do that and give the Staff any diagnostic and video evidence in support. The more data they have, the more it may help the matter along.

Personally speaking though I don’t expect a fix this quickly, even if it’s a simple software issue (as many suspect), it might even be an Amazon related matter, for all I know.

I assume though that once the issue is pinpointed by Staff, it will be pushed forward to the developers (Amazon and/or Sonos) to fix. Presumably that fix will then need testing to make sure it does not cause any other system issues and assuming that the testing goes okay, it will get incorporated in a future world-wide update alongside any other prioritised fixes .. so perhaps not the next Sonos update, but maybe the one after that, or even the next one (depending on how the testing goes).

The important thing at the moment though, is to get the data into Sonos customer support, because without that, it may take even longer to get the matter prioritised as Sonos Staff do not always read these community threads, other than perhaps for forum moderation and it was clear in my Support call, that Customer Services do not routinely read every thread in this community, at least not until someone perhaps brings a thread/discussion to their attention. They clearly have enough to do already via chat/call-in support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Ken_Griffiths

I totally agree… but sometimes it seems to be a lottery how professional support staff works. In your case you were lucky… 
But that‘s the same overall where humans are working. 😉

And imho most users here agree that it takes its time and also their help to investigate this. But on the other hand users also expect professional work and communication on supports side. 

And I really can’t understand why the Sonos mods were answering most threads after new years day but seem to be avoiding any comments to this issue. 😉 

As I said before… sometimes if you are running into problems it just helps if someone from staff says „Yes, we heard you!“. 
It not just a matter of hard facts… it’s also one of how it feels. 
just my 2 cents 

Userlevel 2

So what did Sonos Support say to you when you got in touch with them, with your diagnostic report?

They said my network was busy and to get in touch with Amazon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

And I really can’t understand why the Sonos mods were answering most threads after new years day but seem to be avoiding any comments to this issue. 😉 

We have a saying here in the UK ‘No news is good news’, and also ‘Good things will come to those who wait’

Just my 2 pence 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

We have a saying here in the UK ‘No news is good news’, and also ‘Good things will come to those who wait’

Just my 2 pence 😀

Ok… so I cross my fingers and let’s say „just sit and wait“. 😉

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey everyone, I just wanted to point out I'm having the exact same issue described in this thread on my Era 100 here in Germany. I also just received a brand new unit from Sonos support and it is exhibiting the same behaviour. Very frustrating for a smart speaker, but good to see I'm not alone in this issue. I will talk to support again and link to this thread, hopefully this'll help to escalate things.