HOW TO USE MY ITUNES LIBRARY WITH THE NEW SONOS ONE ALEXA

• 24 October 2017
  • 15 replies

HOW TO USE MY ITUNES LIBRARY WITH THE NEW SONOS ONE ALEXA - HELP :?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Initiating music from your local library is not possible at this time. However, you can Alexa for basic controls, such as play, pause, volume, and skip, on your Sonos players. This works for all services and music on Sonos, once started through the Sonos app.
ok thanks, i was miss sold then as i specifically asked if i could use/control Alexa to play my itunes library, dissapointed
ok thanks, i was miss sold then as i specifically asked if i could use/control Alexa to play my itunes library, dissapointed

Don't know who missold you, but the Sonos literature was quite clear; in numerous places and announcements it was explained what services were fully supported. In fact, the official announcement stated the following:

You can use Alexa to start playing from Amazon Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, TuneIn Radio, and we’re working to bring Spotify controls in the future too.

Also, any Alexa device on your account can use basic controls, such as play, pause, volume, and skip, on your Sonos players. This works for all services and music on Sonos, started through the Sonos app.
Hi, dont know if this is any use but I have got my Sonos system playing my Media Library & iTunes Library (both held on a NAS drive) via an Echo Dot, I assume it may the same for a Sonos1.

First I set up the Alexa on my WiFi network following the instructions for it and the Amazon Alexa App.

Once that was all working I followed the Sonos support instructions for setting up the Sonos Skill on the Echo Dot which worked fine.

Next I like you wanted to drive my iTunes & Media Library held on my NAS drive. I had a look round and came up with 'My Media for Alexa' https://www.mymediaalexa.com/ and downloaded the trial version.

I followed all the setup info telling it where my iTunes Library was etc and sure enough I can now say 'Alexa play artist name or albumn name in the Lounge and it does!!!!

It seems that Alexa uses this link and searches it to find a match for your request. In the instructions from My Media they say you should say 'Alexa, ask My Media to play music by Radiohead' or similar but I find I don't need the My Media bit...

The only limitations I have found so far are that if you have a room grouped in the Sonos App then asking Alexa to play in that room plays to the grouped rooms.

Also I find that when I have used Alexa to drive a particular Sonos Player I cannot then use that room through the Sonos App as it apperars that Alexa has control of it.

I only set 'Alexa & MyMedia for Alexa' up yesterday so still playing about with it.

I wonder if anybody at Sonos has any info on these limitations I found please.

Hope this helps
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Kekky, My Media for Alexa isn't something we support, so I can't speak specifically to what it might cause on your local setup as far as limitations.

The group playback you're describing is intended and part of the integration. When you play to any room in a group, it'll play to all of that group. Grouping is managed from the Sonos app only.

When you have Alexa playing to a room, you should be able to use the Sonos controller on any device to change what's on, skipping tracks and anything else you normally would.
Thanks Ryan I understand the Room Grouping reply and will play further with the interaction between Alexa and the Sonos App. Thanks for the response.
Badge
I've just changed the time on my Sonos One using the Amazon Alex Web UI, https://alexa.amazon.co.uk
(it seems to have stuck)
Ryan 123 I was told this by the sales man in curry’s before I purchased through sonos direct. I’m not lying.
Now I’ve purchased amazon music and it Alexa keeps saying the device is offline, I’m not tech savvy any help out there!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Have you followed the instructions to set it up. It knows nothing until you tell it what to do.
Badge
Ryan 123 I was told this by the sales man in curry’s before I purchased through sonos direct. I’m not lying.
Now I’ve purchased amazon music and it Alexa keeps saying the device is offline, I’m not tech savvy any help out there!

try, "Alexa, discover devices".

check the Sonos App is on your Alexa account Skills,
https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html#skills/your-skills/?ref-suffix=ysa_gw

see https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/new-to-sonos-or-alexa-how-to-set-up-6791327

sorry, I've no idea on playing local music, only setup my One today myself against Amazon Music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
sorry, I've no idea on playing local music, only setup my One today myself against Amazon Music.

The Sonos One can play local tracks just like all other Sonos players, you index your music using the Sonos controller and will be able to find and play tracks using the Sonos app. Alexa isn't able to tell what music is on your computer, so you can't initiate music library tracks. Once music is in the queue or playing on your player from the local library, you can use Alexa to skip tracks, pause, change volume and other basic playback commands.
I wondered if you could upload your iTunes content to the Amazon music pc/Mac app and access that way? Any iTunes content you upload will then appear in the My Music section of your Amazon prime/ unlimited device app. So in theory your iTunes library could be played back through Alexa to a SONOS speaker . Only downside is having to pay £21 annual amazon cloud storage subscription to allow your content to be placed there as there is only a 250 song free limit. Just wondered if anyone had taken this approach successfully?
I have used Alexa to play my Amazon uploads. It works. To test that it is not just playing the Amazon Music Unlimited version, I have an album by Black 47 that does not exist on Amazon Music Unlimited. It plays just fine via Alexa.
?. Great way to save a tenner a month!
Is the sonos phone app the same as the sonos controller?