How to setup Amazon Alexa To your Android Device what first you need to know

• 17 January 2018
  • 13 replies

Hello there Android community who wants to know how to set up an amazon alexa to your device. First what you need to do is either get an Ipad or an Iphone. Then you need the sonos applications next. On top of having the sonos app you will also need the amazon alexa app as well. Once you get your Ipad or Iphone connect it to your network. Make sure your discovery is on. Once it connects to the device you will be able to use the voice commands to alexa. On your Ipad or iphone you also have to make sure you got your music stations listed as well before you can use your android device on your ipad or iphone. Once you have it fully set up on an ipad or iphone then you can go back to your android phone and then open up the amazon alexa app and then go through the process of finding your device. Once it has been found then you can move on to saying alexa please tell me the time. Once it responds back then you are set up and ready to go. One thing you all need to know is once you get a sonos one amazon alexa speaker you really need an iphone or ipad to set it fully up. If you try to set it up with your android phone it will always close the app on you because its not fully compadable so yeah. If anyone else has any other better idea plase do let me know. I am just explaining the information i found or who i talked with. Thanks again all and hope my description helps...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why would someone with an Android want to buy an IPhone to handle Alexa? Why wouldn't they just use their android device.
No clue chris its just the news i got and the info i found as well. I program and code for android and ios devices plus i develop software for windows computers as well. We got an amazon alexa sonos one for christmas and it does connect to the sonos speaker it just wont connect to amazon alexa. Its weird and sounds like its backwards software. Why cant they just make it work for all devices so yeah. I do hope that sonos can fix the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos works with Alexa. setup via ios or android. If you have a specific issue give us the details we will walk you through how to make it work.
I understand what you are saying chris l. Could you tell me since i have an android phone of a lg v20 at&t phone of when i installed the sonos app and also the alexa app that when i try to discover the amazon alexa sonos one that it couldnr find it plus the app would always close hmm. I did get it working. I had to set it up first with my ipad and once it was configured then i am able to use my androind phone to run it and use it. Other then that i tried 3 different phones and got the same issue on all the phones so yeah. To me personaly they have there software backwards
I no longer own any iOS devices and I have set up Alexa devices dozens of times using only Android. If your experience were anything but anecdotal, this place would be flooded with 10's of thousands of posts from Android owners. Something else is at work here. I suggest you contact Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I no longer own any iOS devices and I have set up Alexa devices dozens of times using only Android. If your experience were anything but anecdotal, this place would be flooded with 10's of thousands of posts from Android owners. Something else is at work here. I suggest you contact Sonos.

Agreed, in fact there have been more issues with people setting up their Sonos One & Alexa account via an iOS device than Android and even then some people have needed to use the PC version to resolve certain problems.
Hello this is brendan again about the issue i had when hooking up the amazon alexa that is a sonos One speaker. I only use android phones thats all unless i am testing stuff for any IOS team out there. I will clearify the issue i can hook up and get any sonos speaker going using an android device. The only issue i am having is when someone buys a amazon alexa and then you are trying to set it up why is it that when you use an android device like a phone or tablet that why doesnt it connect properly at all. Maybe amazon alexa works on specific devices and thats ok i am just saying in order for my phone to actualy use the amazon alexa part i had to first get an ipad and install sonos and then install amazon alexa first. To me since i code and program for android and ios devices is why in fact couldnt i just connect it directly to my phone and not have all these problems so yeah i have no clue at all really. I know i am sending a questions or giving an answer thats cool with me. I also understand people from other states and countries maybe have other ideas to get stuff to work but for my issue by calling sonos first and then calling amazon they never told me that there were any issues what so ever and also i gave sonos and amazon my phone info and said directly i should be able to set it up on my phone. When i installed the amazon alexa app on my phone and went to pair it why did the app always close on me there has to be an issue with that. Thanks all for the input and if there is anyone i can send a message to directly let me know if you have any other tricks ok thanks again and sorry if all of my questions were not said right or typed right. Have a great day and great work week..
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wow that is hard to read.

If your having any troubles currently or want to get it going with the android alexa app. I would recommend calling sonos on the phone and they will get it all straight.
Chris from RVA i sent you a message and also UKMedia i also sent you a message as well
Chris from RVA i sent you a message and also UKMedia i also sent you a message as well

Why are you sending messages? You have been told numerous times that you need to contact Sonos. Here are the contact methods:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/contact/contact-options%23
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
DJBrendan said he has contacted Sonos. I guess we will never know why he couldn't setup with android device but at least he did have a work around to get it working for him. I'm wondering if his android devices are connecting to a different wifi.
Its all connected to my home network all the same network and no other network besides my home network. It is really a weird one and if other people can actualy use the amazon alexa app fine on an sonos one speaker then great for you all its just maybe there is some type of hicup with maybe my phone or devices or with the speaker so yeah. No clue but at least i figured it out thats all i can say
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, the team is working with DJBrendan now, so I think we can let this one rest. Let's all remember to stay friendly :)

In case anyone new comes to the thread, you can 100% set up Alexa using an Android device, but if you're running into trouble with the process, please feel free to give us a call on our support line. We can help.