Answered

How can I open video apps with Alexa via Sonos Arc?

• 24 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Good morning everyone,

I’ve just purchased a Sonos Arc and have installed Alexa and I have been very pleased with the experience so far. 

However, it seems like I can only manipulate music apps like Spotify, Sonos Radio etc. as I’m having trouble opening up video apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime video. 

Upon asking Alexa to “watch Netflix” she responds “to control video device you need to connect it first… go to settings/video apps etc...” except that I don’t see the Netflix option under tv/video.

Furthermore, when trying to connect Amazon Prime through the Alexia app->Tv/Video I get prompted with “Sorry, we could not find any devices to link.”

How can I get Alexa to open up my video apps and do I need to buy an additional device such as the Amazon echo to remedy this situation? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by SunRay501 24 January 2023, 18:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you’re referring to Apps on your TV then a voice assistant like Alexa would need to be installed on that TV and you would then use the manufacturers skill to open its own Apps… an easy workaround with Alexa (as an example) is to connect a Fire TV with a voice remote to the TV and control the Apps on the device with the remote or an assigned/associated echo device. Here are some of the Fire TV syntax that Amazon have made available for that device:

Go to Fire TV

Alexa, watch Fire TV

Play a movie or TV show

Alexa, watch The Grand Tour

Alexa, play Stranger Things on Netflix

Alexa, play comedy on Netflix

Search for movies and TV shows

Alexa, search for [movie / TV show] on [app]

Alexa, find [title / genre] on [app]

Alexa, show me [movies / TV shows] on [app]

Alexa, find [actor] movies on [app]

Control playback

Alexa, play

Alexa, pause

Alexa, stop

Alexa, resume

Alexa, rewind [timeframe]

Alexa, fast-forward [timeframe]

Alexa, go back [timeframe]

Alexa, jump forward [timeframe]

Alexa, next / next episode

Alexa, watch from the beginning

Thanks for the quick reply, Ken. I’ve managed to get it to work by installing “TV control with smart speakers/Alexa” under apps on my Sony Smart tv and synchronizing my tv with the Alexa app on my smartphone. 

The only problem now is that I can’t seem to get Alexa to play a specific video or navigate around netflix. Upon asking Alexa to watch “Don’t Look up on Netflix” I get responded with: 

“I can't do that on the netflix skill. Go to the alexa app to manage video skill and devices...”

It seems that I have to somehow enable the “skill” to navigate around Netflix via the Alexa app, which I have yet to figure out.

A further option is to look at Logitech Harmony Hubs/Remotes as they can control many TV’s/Apps using Alexa or Google, but you need to check if they will work with your TV and there is a bit of a learning curve to setup their devices/remotes with the needed activities in their Harmony App, but these can work really well for changing TV inputs, channels, volume, launching Apps etc and their products do work with Sonos devices too.