Answered

Getting Alexa to play the specified group

• 3 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have groups setup in Alexa per the instructions. Currently though it seems like it just plays to whatever speaker or group was last controlled instead of the specified group. Alexa says it is saying what I said to do, but doesn’t actually play to the expanded or reduced set of speakers, just changes what some speaker/group is playing.

My understanding is that regrouping speakers isn’t supported with Alexa, but that playing TO a group is supposed to be. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 November 2023, 11:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @vandint 

Thanks for your post!

You should be able to activate pre-arranged Alexa groups with a voice command, yes.

Please ensure that your group name doesn’t conflict with any Sonos rooms names - as in, make sure the name is unique. Please also make sure that the group was created using the “Combine rooms or groups” option in the Alexa app.

If this isn’t of any help to you, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Same problem here.  It used to work fine, I could ask Alexa to “play music on kitchen” and it would only play on the kitchen speakers, even if they were grouped with another room.  Now when I ask the same thing it plays on the whole group, when that’s not what was asked.  Frustrating.