Skip to main content
Question

Era 300 - not compatible with Android

• 12 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Having waited unsuccessfully for over 4 hours on the helpline last week, I finally got through today - only an hour’s wait!  I have an existing set of three Sonos 1, connected, working, in various places in the house.  I identified a need for another speaker so, after much thought, decided to add an Era 300, although a 100 would probably have sufficed.  Bought the 300 after a substantial price drop recently (approx £100), so tried to set the beast up.  I followed all instructions, and was stuck repeatedly at the ‘connect to Amazon’ screen, as I want to add Alexa, mainly for voice control, where it is located. 

Seemingly the Alexa app does not work with the Era 300, because I have an android phone.  The helpful (good to begin with but became somewhat ruder as the call progressed!) technician told me that I should be patient and wait for the engineers to fix the bug.  Meanwhile I have an expensive piece of plastic which does work and does sound great but I have to use the app on my phone to make it work.  Not what I bought it for, as I have a better speaker where I can do that.  That wasn’t the point of the purchase.

At the moment there is no knowledge of the timeline for the repair.  Any thoughts?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If it makes you feel any better, I believe that the Alexa bug affects all speakers not just the Era 300. 🤓

Have you tried to enable the Sonos Voice Control?