Answered

Echo will most times only play sample music on Sonos

• 20 January 2018
  • 14 replies

Why will Echo sometimes play only a sample of a track on my Sonos system?

Example, 'Alexa, play one in ten by UB40 on family room'. Reply 'playing sample of one in ten by UB40 on family room'

Family room is the name I selected for my Sonos

I should add that if I ask Alexa to play the same track on the Echo it will play the full track.

Is there a fix for this?

Getting rather frustrated by it 😞
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 22 January 2018, 22:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It means you have amazon music set as default service and your not subscribed to amazon music unlimited. You would need to subscribe or if your subscribed to Spotify you can switch default to Spotify. You could also set default to pandora where it will play similar songs to what you ask.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It shouldn’t work differently on echo vs Sonos. Unless you have the low prices echo music service which may only work on echo.
Thanks Chris
It isn't every track, for example I played Quadraphenia in its entirety yesterday on Sonos.
I have an Amazon music unlimited subscription which in my mind should play on my Sonos set up via my echo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This is normally due to the Amazon security authorisation dropping which can be caused by a number of reasons. I suggest that you first Disable the Sonos skill and then Enable again in the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills. If the problem persists then please follow these steps:

1/ Log out of all Amazon accounts/apps on your device;
2/ Disable the Sonos skill;
3/ Power down your Sonos devices for 10 secs and then allow to boot - wired first if you have any, followed by wireless;
4/ Enable the Sonos skill.

Please retest and let us know how you get on.
Thanks UKMedia
I have just tried your suggested cure but no joy, sorry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Have you set a default music source in the Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media?
Have you set a default music source in the Alexa App>Settings>Music & Media?

Hi UKMedia, my default music is set as Amazon Music
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have an Amazon music unlimited subscription which in my mind should play on my Sonos set up via my echo.
Great work everyone. A note to add, there is an Amazon Music Unlimited Echo Plan which is $3.99/mo and the Amazon Music Unlimited Individual Plan, at $7.99/mo. These prices are per the page here. The Echo Plan only works on an Echo, Dot, or Tap. They don't work with the Sonos One which is not an Echo device. You'd need the Individual Plan to to play some tracks. If you have Prime, it'll play many songs through Prime Music, without Unlimited. But some songs would play those short clips as a sample.

Can you check your subscription to make sure which level you're listed at?
Thanks Ryan S
When I get home from work tonight I will upgrade my subscription and let you know how I get on.
Just a thought, will I have to cancel the £3.99 sub before upgrading to the $7.99 one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good question, I believe you can upgrade from one to the other without canceling, but that'd be a better question to ask Amazon to make sure. I don't directly work with their accounts beyond the basics.
Good question, I believe you can upgrade from one to the other without canceling, but that'd be a better question to ask Amazon to make sure. I don't directly work with their accounts beyond the basics.
Hi Ryan S
Yes it upgrades from one to the other without having to cancel.
Great work everyone. A note to add, there is an Amazon Music Unlimited Echo Plan which is $3.99/mo and the Amazon Music Unlimited Individual Plan, at $7.99/mo. These prices are per the page here. The Echo Plan only works on an Echo, Dot, or Tap. They don't work with the Sonos One which is not an Echo device. You'd need the Individual Plan to to play some tracks. If you have Prime, it'll play many songs through Prime Music, without Unlimited. But some songs would play those short clips as a sample.

Can you check your subscription to make sure which level you're listed at?

A BIG thanks to everyone who replied and suggested fixes.
Ryan S, you were absolutely correct that it was my subscription causing the 'sample music' issue so a BIG thanks to you for pointing me in that direction, its very much appreciated.
Can I ask you if I can copy your answer into the Amazon Digital and device forum where I have also posted the same question and credit it to you?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can I ask you if I can copy your answer into the Amazon Digital and device forum where I have also posted the same question and credit it to you?
Absolutely. Feel free to quote away.
Badge
Echo will play sample song only either music is not in the library or you have to forgotten to set default music player.