I have 6 Sonos Play 1 speakers in my house, and purchased an Echo Dot to enable Alexa with my speakers. Here are my initial impressions of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly":
1) Voice commands to Alexa initiate requests to play music from Amazon Prime Music on my Sonos Play 1 speakers. Requests such as artist, album, song, etc. My speakers across my house are set up as a group, and the music plays in all rooms in my house. LIKE!
But see also: #2 in "THE BAD", below.
2) Voice commands to Alexa *control volume* on my Sonos Play 1 speakers, regardless of source of music. If it's playing in my Sonos app (including music I'm playing from "On this iPhone" on my Sonos app), I can control the volume with voice commands to Alexa. LIKE!
3) Voice commands to Alexa *skip tracks* in playlists that I'm playing, regardless of source of music. If it's playing in my Sonos app, (including music I'm playing from "On this iPhone" on my Sonos app) I can skip tracks with voice commands to Alexa. LIKE!
4) Setup was reasonably simple.
5) Coupon from Sonos for $25 off the Echo Dot. Thank you, Sonos!
1) Any non-music related commands to Alexa will only play results over the Echo Dot speaker (weather, traffic, flash briefs, etc). I don't want those to play through the crappy Echo Dot speaker. I have awesome Sonos speakers connected. Naturally want Alexa to give me updates through my better Play 1 speakers. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!
(Yes, I know I could purchase Sonos One speakers to make that happen. I already bought 6 Play 1 speakers last year, and don't want to scrap them and spend another $400+ per pair, just to get the sound of Alexa's voice on my Sonos speakers.)
2) Can't use voice commands to Alexa to initiate requests to play music from "On this iPhone", on my Sonos Play 1 speakers. Most of the music I listen to is via "On this iPhone". BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!
(Is there any way to upload my personal music collection to "My Music" storage on Amazon ($24/year to store 250,000 songs, and then have those play through Alexa to my Sonos speakers via Alexa?)
- So far, I don't see anything. How about you?