Dolby Atmos & Windows Sonic? Plus, is Alexa etc., coming to the other Sonos speakers?

• 12 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
As someone considering joining the Sonos family, I'm wondering if there has been an update or news on when or if Dolby Atmos or Windows Sonic is coming to Sonos in a new product speaker?

Plus, is Alexa etc., coming to other Sonos speakers?

Anyhow, I would hate to purchase anything to find out Atmos and Sonic ready speakers would be arriving right after.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There's been no news regarding Dolby Atmos or Windows Sonic from Sonos. Anything around that would be pure speculation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Alexa, etc coming to other Sonos speakers". All speakers currently support Alexa if you already have an Alexa device. The Sonos One is the only device currently announced (and to be released any day now) that contains the appropriate speaker array to service things like Alexa and others. At this moment, only Alexa will be supported, but in other threads, Ryan S, a Sonos rep, has said that the intention is that other assistants like Alexa should work with that speaker.

Now, if you're asking if they're going to put the microphone array in other speakers like they have with the Sonos One, there's been no announcement about that yet. I'd assume that if they intended to release such a speaker (like perhaps a Sonos Three or a Sonos Five) before Christmas, they would have already made that announcement, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything real soon. But then again, I'm not a Sonos employee, and I'm just basing this on past behavior. It's possible that they will be sneaky and make my suppositions invalid.
Badge
Airgetlam

Thanks for the response. You answered and understood my questions well. I wish Sonos would make their intent know regarding Atmos/Sonic. I guess I'l wait and see by the end of the year. Thanks again.
I'd highly recommend that you not hold your breath on any more announcements before the end of this year.

I'd be delighted to be wrong.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
There's been no news regarding Dolby Atmos or Windows Sonic from Sonos. Anything around that would be pure speculation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Alexa, etc coming to other Sonos speakers". All speakers currently support Alexa if you already have an Alexa device. The Sonos One is the only device currently announced (and to be released any day now) that contains the appropriate speaker array to service things like Alexa and others. At this moment, only Alexa will be supported, but in other threads, Ryan S, a Sonos rep, has said that the intention is that other assistants like Alexa should work with that speaker.

Now, if you're asking if they're going to put the microphone array in other speakers like they have with the Sonos One, there's been no announcement about that yet. I'd assume that if they intended to release such a speaker (like perhaps a Sonos Three or a Sonos Five) before Christmas, they would have already made that announcement, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything real soon. But then again, I'm not a Sonos employee, and I'm just basing this on past behavior. It's possible that they will be sneaky and make my suppositions invalid.