Answered

Does Sonos volume still drop off ("duck") when Alexa is queried?

• 31 July 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
With Sonos playing in a room if an Echo Dot associated with the same room is given the "Alexa" command, is the behavior still for the Sonos speakers to decrease volume during the time Alexa is in control? For some reason I thought this had been eliminated or at least made an option but perhaps not?

Furthermore, if this is still the standard behavior, is it just the Echo Dot associated with the same room the Sonos speaker(s) are in or will a an Alexa query on any Echo Dot decrease volume on all Sonos speakers currently in operation throughout a household?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 31 July 2019, 20:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi mhowie, there's a recent thread where we talked about it here. Check it out and let me know if you have any follow up questions. I think the situation and questions the poster in that thread are the same you have.
Ducking of all rooms has been fixed, ducking of the preferred speaker for an Alexa Group still occurs. See this link for more info:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-now-playing-with-alexa-groups-6817588

PS - Ryan's link describes how to stop the ducking of a speaker in the same room, but you lose the ability to just say "Alexa, play XXXX" and have the preferred Sonos play the music, instead you have to include the room name.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks for the rapid responses! Seems things are operating as designed and in order to change this behavior would require a different name within Alexa for either the Echo Dot or Sonos speaker grouping. I don't have the YouTube issue as described by others (which causes Sonos volume to decrease for an extended period of time) so I'll most likely leave it as is understanding a call to Alexa will temporarily cause a lowering of the Sonos speaker volume playing content from a source outside of Amazon.