Disappointing... No in Sontergration between Sonos One and Amazon Echo and Echo Plus

• 4 April 2022
  • 1 reply

What is the point of having Alexa built into your Sonos One if you cannot combine it with your existing Echo and/or Echo Plus speakers to be able to play music throughout your house.  I have two recently purchased Sonos One speakers and was getting ready to add the Sonos Play Five, but that decision has been back shelved.  I can’t justify the $550 cost when it cannot be combined with my other Echo speakers for an EVERYWHERE experience when playing music!!!

So dissapointed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

What is the point of having Alexa built into your Sonos One if you cannot combine it with your existing Echo and/or Echo Plus speakers to be able to play music throughout your house.

The point is to be able to use Alexa voice commands to control music on your Sonos speakers.

While both echos and Sonos speakers can do multiroom audio, they are very different in terms of functionality  and how they sync with speakers in their system.  As just one example, echos cannot play any analog input, such as the one on the back of the Sonos Five.  The also cannot play TV audio.  Or add/remove speakers to the group once playback has started.  Or play from streaming sources that are not Amazon approved.  That does not mean it’s impossible, but certainly not a no brainer like you may be thinking it is.

I have two recently purchased Sonos One speakers and was getting ready to add the Sonos Play Five, but that decision has been back shelved.  I can’t justify the $550 cost when it cannot be combined with my other Echo speakers for an EVERYWHERE experience when playing music!!!

So dissapointed.

Yes, if you  want a whole home audio system you need to commit to a whole home audio system.  Amazon may need your needs better if you want mostly cheap speakers with a few good ones, are fine with the limits in Amazons system.  Alternatively, you could go with Sonos for better all around sound, maybe some ikea bookshelf speakers in some places.   Or some other brand.