Answered

Deezer FLAC quality on SONOS via Alexa or (when available) Google Assistant

• 13 September 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Hi,
I'm looking to move from Amazon Music Unlimited to Deezer as Deezer appears to be the only streaming service that integrates into the Virtual DJ software that I use. I see that Deezer has an Alexa skill. I would rather go for Deezer Hifi than Premium but am mindful that the vast majority of my music streaming requests are made by voice to Alexa via my Sonos Ones and Beam. I have two questions:
1) Will I get FLAC quality when requesting Deezer streams via Alexa or is it only through using the SONOS app?
2) When Google assistant is available via SONOS Ones and Beam will I be able to request FLAC quality Deezer streams using this?
Many thanks
icon

Best answer by ratty 13 September 2018, 12:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

1) Will I get FLAC quality when requesting Deezer streams via Alexa or is it only through using the SONOS app?
FLAC is only through the Sonos app. Deezer HiFi streams started via Alexa -- whether using the Sonos skill or the Deezer skill -- come through as MP3 320kbps. See here.

2) When Google assistant is available via SONOS Ones and Beam will I be able to request FLAC quality Deezer streams using this?

We don't know for sure, but this article suggests FLAC might be available.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Thank you Ratty. That is handy to know and I will assess the latest situation when my yearly Amazon Music Unlimited subscription expires. I do listen to a lot of music on You Tube so I'll continue to keep an eye on the Google Assistant Sonos integration news for this also
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Now google assistant is available can anyone confirm the answer to question 2 in relation to Deezer HiFi:

“When Google assistant is available via SONOS Ones and Beam will I be able to request FLAC quality Deezer streams using this?”
Well blow me down with a feather, I didn't know that about Alexa, I had assumed it meant Echo devices when I read it in passing before. I'll check tomorrow around Alexa on the Sonos One, but can't see the stream type when using an Echo Dot to control my Play:1s. I can confirm that Google Assistant does indeed send a FLAC stream my Sonos One, will check tomorrow if it sends a FLAC stream to the Play:1s as well
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Well blow me down with a feather, I didn't know that about Alexa, I had assumed it meant Echo devices when I read it in passing before. I'll check tomorrow around Alexa on the Sonos One, but can't see the stream type when using an Echo Dot to control my Play:1s. I can confirm that Google Assistant does indeed send a FLAC stream my Sonos One, will check tomorrow if it sends a FLAC stream to the Play:1s as well

Did you get a chance to test the FLAC stream on your play 1s?
Just realised that if that does work I can buy a google mini to use with my existing play 1s instead of buying brand new Sonos Ones 👍
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sorted. For anyone else wondering about this:

changed my location (I’m in U.K.) to USA in the account page of Sonos on the website.

This is got google assistant working on my sonos speakers.

I then teated playing tracks in rooms where I’ve got Play 1s and Play 5s set up. They all streamed FLAC. 😀👍
GA on any device will play FLAC on any Sonos speaker! 😀

One thing I have notice is that when using Alexa or GA the recently played list isn't updated, so that must only come the App. Would be great if Sonos updated this based on wherever the tracks were initiated
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
laconic & Redster - many thanks. Appreicate the change location tip as I am UK based too