Controlling Sonos by Alexa via IFTTT

• 18 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I currently control my Sonos features through voice commands to Alexa, which then sends triggers to IFTTT, which then controls Sonos.  Looks like Alexa is dropping IFTTT at the end of Oct 2023.  Does anyone have any good suggestions for a good fix for this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

You can integrate Sonos with Alexa directly.   What sort of voice commands are using IFTTT for that you can’t use the direct integration?

Badge

IFTTT allows me to play my specific favourites - both stations and my own playlists.  As far as I can tell, this functionality is not possible directly from the Alexa app.

IFTTT allows me to play my specific favourites - both stations and my own playlists.  As far as I can tell, this functionality is not possible directly from the Alexa app.

Have you tried using Sonos Voice Control for this?  You can request stations and playlists

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/list-of-voice-requests-for-sonos-voice-control

I request stations on the time, but don’t use playlists much, so can’t vouch too much for that.

I do have a lutron hub and lights, and I can create scenes that integrate lights and playing Sonos favorites which I have scheduled.  I believe I can reference these scenes by Alexa voice command and routines, but have not looked in a while.  Lutron isn’t free either.

Yonomi used to be an option, but I believe they are going away.

Badge

Thanks Danny.  I appreciate your feedback.

Sonos Voice control has some limitations that I managed to get around with IFTTT.

1. With Sonos VC, the music source is limited to only one of Sonos Radio, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, and Pandora.  With IFTTT I can have favourite stations from multiple sources, including ones not on this list. E.g. SiriusXM, Tunein, Global Player, ….
  2.  I have created playlists from multiple platforms that I have designated as “Sonos Favourites”.  IFTTT can pick these out and play the one I requested.

I may have to go this route in the end since Alexa is dropping IFTTT and there is no obvious alternative that is as flexible.  Thanks again!

Thanks Danny.  I appreciate your feedback.

Sonos Voice control has some limitations that I managed to get around with IFTTT.

1. With Sonos VC, the music source is limited to only one of Sonos Radio, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Deezer, and Pandora.  With IFTTT I can have favourite stations from multiple sources, including ones not on this list. E.g. SiriusXM, Tunein, Global Player, ….
  2.  I have created playlists from multiple platforms that I have designated as “Sonos Favourites”.  IFTTT can pick these out and play the one I requested.

I may have to go this route in the end since Alexa is dropping IFTTT and there is no obvious alternative that is as flexible.  Thanks again!

SVC isn’t limited to a single source.  You can set defaults so that you do not have to specifiy the source every time, but that’s doesn’t stop you from making a request to play Apple music and then making a request to play Amazon music right after.  I don’t think you are limited to supported services when requesting to play a favorite either.

However, it sounds like you’re saying that you created a a playlist/favorite outside of Sonos in IFTT that contains tracks from multiple streaming services? If that’s the case, then no SVC can’t help with that, and Sonos doesn’t even allow that.  It would have to be managed by some third party service that interfaces with Sonos.