Answered

compatibility with new Sonos One Alexa and old play:1

• 16 November 2017
  • 13 replies

Im interested in purchasing the new alexa play:1 but need to know if it will be compatible with my old play:1
Thanks for your help
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 17 November 2017, 18:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi lloydyo

Depends on what you mean as 'compatible'. You can add a new Sonos 1 to a system comprising a Play 1 and have a multi room set-up but you won't be able to 'pair' them as a stereo pair.
Just as a note, it's called the Sonos One, as opposed to the PLAY:1. I think they really wanted to differentiate them, by spelling out one versus using the numeral.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Noted 🙂
But there probably wouldn't be anything like as many 'pairing' queries if they had called it the Sonos Two ......
.... and please don't get me started on Play:5 gen 2
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
But there probably wouldn't be anything like as many 'pairing' queries if they had called it the Sonos Two ......

Couldn't agree more!
I have the same question, i.e. does Amazon's Alexa (?Echo dot etc.) work with the old Sonos Play 1?

The question has nothing to do with stereo pairing which the only attempted answer above seems to be referring to?
Yes it will. Lots of info on the Sonos website.
Thanks John, I will hunt around for more info on the Sonos website
There is a link on the home page: "connect your Sonos to any Amazon Alexa device". But whatever - the important thing is you can do what you were hoping for.
Yes I found their information after searching in the support bar. I didn't find a link on their homepage though, no matter. Thanks anyway!
I have two play 1s in front room set as surround sounds. tried to remove one of them and replace it with a one(alexa). Mixed speakers are not compatable as surrounds. The speakers must be matched pairs. The way i see it is a one is a stand alone speaker with alexa. Why would u have two alexa ones in the same room. Is it so they csn talk to each other lol. I think sonos will do a software update so you can pair the play 1 and one speakers together.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you have an Apple device, buy the SonoSequencr app (small fee) which allows to make stereo pairs (and surrounds) using play 1 and play one