Answered

Changing from Echo to Integrated Sonos system

• 21 May 2019
  • 6 replies

• Contributor II
  • 4 replies
I have been using a number of amazon echos for the past few years. Currently I'm planning a major renovation and want to integrate sonos into the new home setup. I plan to have ceiling speakers in kitchen/diner and living room with a beam and a playbase in another room.

My questions are around the integration with Alexa. in order for this to be a success, it needs to work for everyone i n the family, not just me, the techie.

If I have ceiling speakers connected to a sonos amp, I need an alexa device to control them. Are there benefits to using a sonos one over an echo dot or echo show? Can I control the volume for the entire room from the sonos one or the echo dot by pressing the physical buttons, or do I have to use voice commands? When I speak to the echo dot, will alexa respond through the echo dot speaker, or the 'room' speakers (sonos+echo)?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 21 May 2019, 13:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There are benefits of using an echo Spot or dot IMHO. You can set up the Sonos speakers as default speakers so any music will be played over them automatically. All other responses will be on the Amazon Device(spot/dot).

The Echo buttons do NOT alter the Sonos volume, but volume commands to Alexa do work for sounds playing from Sonos.

The Echo devices have access to ALL the Alexa commands and functions. Amazon "Alexa enabled" speakers, such as the Sonos One, do not. Its depends if you would miss any of these features. I would as we use the intercom function a lot.
Agree with @bockersjv, just wanted to add that you can also configuration the integration so that your ceiling speakers will duck volume when you speak to Alexa and she speaks back so that everything is heard better.

Also, if you have a larger room, it's not a bad idea to add multiple echo dots to the room with all of them set to use the Sonos speakers for music playback. The only room I wouldn't do this in is the kitchen, assuming you're using the timing feature. Timer's are specific to the echo you're speaking to, so if your starting a timer on echo #1, you can only turn it off by talking to echo #1. If echo #2 thinks you're talking to it, it's just a mess.
Thank you both for the detailed responses.

If I use a sonos one instead of a dot, will alexa reply only from the sonos one also?

Am I correct in saying that the only way to have a physical volume control is to use a remote of some kind?

Many thanks again.
When using a Sonos One, Alexa will reply from the Sonos one only. When using an Echo device, the Sonos will play the music, but all replies will be via the Alexa device.

All Sonos devices have a physical volume control on the top of the unit.
All Sonos devices have a physical volume control on the top of the unit.

I meant for the control of the ceiling speakers. The sonos one volume control won't change the ceiling speaker volume, I assume?

All Sonos devices have a physical volume control on the top of the unit.I meant for the control of the ceiling speakers. The sonos one volume control won't change the ceiling speaker volume, I assume?

No it won't. But there is a volume control on the Amp. You can also control volume via Alexa.