Answered

Cannot get voice control working on Sonos One

• 20 August 2018
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply
Hi

I've been unable to get voice control activated on the Sonos One. It seems that the set up process is not completing correctly.

This is what I'm doing:

1) Open Sonos app
2) 'More' page menu
3) Voice Services
4) Amazon Alexa...Requires Alexa app
5) Add Amazon Alexa...Add to Sonos
6) Steps to set up Alexa...Connect your Amazon account

this takes me to ps://na.account.amazon.com

7) Click 'Allow' to sign in to Alexa enabled Sonos speaker

Clicking 'Allow' just brings me back to step 2). Voice control has not been activated and the microphone light remains off.

I have an Amazon account, an Echo dot in another room with Alexa all set up and working fine. I have the Sonos skill enabled in the Alexa app and I can ask the Echo dot to play music on the Sonos One which it does. But I can't ask the Sonos One anything. Well, I can ask, but it ignores me. I have pressed and swiped the mic icon on the Sonos One but nothing happens. Have tried all the suggestions like uninstalling apps, disabling/re-enabling the Sonos skill, etc. Not sure if this is a Sonos or an Amazon issue, or maybe something to do with the browser on my phone but any help appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Duq 20 August 2018, 17:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Can you check that your location is correct within your profile in www.sonos.com. What country are you in?

The Mic is enabled as part of the successful set-up of Alexa on Sonos, so the fact that the Mic is Not enabled points to a failure of the linking somewhere.

Please work through these steps:

1/ Duplicate device names - Alexa prefers that names for Devices, Groups and Scenes are unique,
1.1/ Please open up the Alexa App>Smart Home and make a note of any duplicate device names;
1.2/ You can then change them in the source app. e.g. Use the Sonos App to change the name of Sonos players. (I personally use the naming standard Room Name + Device type. e.g. Kitchen Sonos, Kitchen Echo Dot, Lounge Sonos, etc)
1.3/ Once you have changed any duplicate names then please open the Alexa App on a PC (https://alexa.amazon.co.uk or https://alexa.amazon.com)>Smart Home>Devices and select 'Forget All' followed by 'Discover'. NOTE: This will remove ALL Actions from ALL Alexa Routines! (Only the PC version has this functionality.)

2/ Some form of Account Linking or Authorisation has not completed successfully. There are a number of causes for this and it's best to try these steps 1 at a time and test before moving on to the next step if the problem persists:
2.1/ Open the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable' followed by 'Enable';
2.2/ Ensure that you don't have multiple Amazon accounts logged into different Apps on your device, as this can confuse the Amazon Authorisation. If yes, then please log out of the other accounts and then complete step 2.1 again;
2.3/ If the problem still persists, please logout of all Amazon accounts then select the Alexa App>Skills>Your Skills>Sonos and 'Disable. Now power down all Sonos devices for 10 secs, allowing for any wired devices to boot before booting the remaining Sonos players. Now log back into the Alexa App>Skills>Sonos and 'Enable'
Many thanks for your detailed reply. I tried all the steps you mentioned but without success. But I have since managed to fix the issue by installing the Sonos app on a different phone (Samsung). The original phone, a Wileyfox Swift, seems to have been struggling with the Authorisation stage for some reason. Thanks again for your help.