Answered

Can't enable Alexa on Sonos One

• 15 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I’ve been using Alexa (amazon.co.uk account) and Sonos (incl. Sonos One) for years with no issue. Few weeks ago some of my Sonos devices went offline. I had to reset all the system to resolve the issue. Everything but Sonos One is working back OK. But I cannot enable Alexa on my Sonos One. 

I did:

- factory reset of Sonos One (several times, including reconnection thru wifi and thru ethernet).

- uninstall / reinstall Sonos & Alexa app on my iPhone

- disable skill and re-enable with account linking Sonos skill in Alexa app

My Sonos One is working, but only one way. It is not listening to Alexa commands. Mic is ON of course.

What I think is that my current iPhone Sonos app looks a bit different that it used to and I cannot find options that are mentioned in dozens of tutorials and howtos that I am studying for weeks.

Here is how it looks currently:

Please note that there is Settings option in right bottom corner and there used to be “More” option.

In System submenu I can find my One speaker, but again, no option to Enable Voice or Enable Alexa, no option “Add Amazon Alexa”:

Also tried to find Alexa options in Browse menu, but found nothing but music services over there:

Also tried to factory reset the One speaker and I hoped that I will be asked to link Amazon account during setup, but it didn’t happen.

Where are Alexa options in this app and how can I relink my One to Alexa?

Here are my app and system versions:

Thank you for any suggestions.

PP

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 16 January 2020, 16:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi pjgmoch

In screen shot 1...open Services and select the speaker you want to enable Alexa on.  Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

In screen shot 1...open Services and select the speaker you want to enable Alexa on.  

Nothing special over there:

Just my music services and nothing regarding Alexa.

And in “Add a service” also nothing special:

Userlevel 7

@pjgmoch 

Are you signed into Amazon (Alexa)?  If so you should see the Alexa as a voice service. Here’s the link with instructions:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3517?language=en_US

Are you signed into Amazon (Alexa)? 

Of course.

“If so you should see the Alexa as a voice service”

I know that I should. But I do not. And that is why I am asking: WHY?

Regards

PP

Userlevel 7

Hi 

This is the last I have to offer. If it doesn’t resolve your issue then I strongly suggest you submit a diagnostic as per these instructions https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US. I realize the steps are redundant as you have done them B4. Please follow them in order listed:

1. Reboot your router
  2. Make sure you iPhone is up-to-date
  3. Power Cycle your iPhone
  4. Delete the Sonos skill for Alexa
  5. Log-out of Alexa
  6. Delete the Sonos app
  7. Sign into Alexa
  8. Enable the Sonos skill
  9. Re-install the Sonos App
  10. Follow these steps: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US
  11. Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In addition to the comments from @AjTrek1 and based upon the actions that you have already taken, can you open the Alexa App>Settings>Devices>[Select your Sonos One] and ensure that the Device Location is correctly recorded.